Wood Id please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Feeling the Heat
Oct 28, 2013
Delaware
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386077490.923528.jpg

+ 1 - Maple. Sully you sure are adding to your piles. How much have you gathered so far for upcoming years?

Im gonna say Red maple but some may say silver. Ive been looking for Red myself. Its supposed to be a common tree but I dont have too many here. Are there more of those bigger rounds?
Good find, I'd grab it.

Looks a lot like the red maple I cut up a few weeks back.

Reactions: BillLion
Im gonna say Red maple but some may say silver. Ive been looking for Red myself. Its supposed to be a common tree but I dont have too many here. Are there more of those bigger rounds?
Good find, I'd grab it.
It's a lot less dense than sugar/rock maple- get sugar if you can

Reactions: Jags
+ 1 - Maple. Sully you sure are adding to your piles. How much have you gathered so far for upcoming years?
Clyde I'm always on the look. I grabbed some of this maple. I'm starting to get a good collection going. I have made a decision to just get small loads at a time. Haha. Get split stack. That last load got me backed up between the oak hedge and locust. Wife does not mind the stacks forming at back of property though. I think they look good. Lol. Possible splitter purchase in next few years will make this task a bit easier haha

Adios is that a sculpted chicken or a butchering? I've gotta know.

Was wondering if somebody was gonna ask ;lol For some strange reason, "choking the chicken" came to mind as a caption - but even with all the references to guys and their wood here, that's probably a little too far over the top. Better stop (edit - stop COMMENTING) now....

+1 on red maple.

Monday morning chicken wings.
I would actually avoid cutting them for ecological reasons, as well. They are in decline.

I've heard that too. I've never cut a tree down just to burn - I'm clearing the property (e.g. for an addition, line clearing, etc.), or salvaging some blow downs (took one last year, got another leaner on the next door lot now), or knocking down a couple dead standing here and there. I think I have enough fallout from the last heavy rainstorm (branches) to fill a pallet again.

I'm still thinking about putting a couple taps out for syrup, based on inspiration from some others here on the forum who make syrup. Wish I could find the time. I think I might even have a couple trees with bird's eye - although I could be out to lunch on that. But at the end of the day, when I do burn it, the stuff really makes a nice fire. My philosophy is if it's gonna lay there and rot, I'm scrounging it up.

Interesting thing is, I'm kind of a maple oasis in an otherwise really mixed area. Tons of cedar, white / yellow birch, poplar, white pine, jack pine, spruce, fir, tamarack, mountain ash, etc.all around me, yet my property is pretty much all maple with a few very old yellow birch scattered about.

Reactions: Adios Pantalones
and doesn't silver maple have patchy bark that sheds.

Status
Not open for further replies.