Wood ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badger

Burning Hunk
Oct 2, 2012
Central Minnesota
Purchased a cord of this last October for $50. Not many straight pieces but burns pretty good. I'm think ash. Now let's hear what the experts think.

dy4eby6a.jpg

Do you see any of these under the bark?

8142966601_cae435be3e_o.jpg
No, but there were a bunch of large (1-2") grubs in it.

Is that Dutch elm disease? I've got a bunch of elm (I think) on my property that have that. Burns great, but I can't get the fiskars started in it. Just about brought my buddies splitter to it knees.

The wood I'm burning and pictured above split like a dream. Even the twisted branches were better than I had expected.

Thanks again

Is that Dutch elm disease? I've got a bunch of elm (I think) on my property that have that. Burns great, but I can't get the fiskars started in it. Just about brought my buddies splitter to it knees.

The wood I'm burning and pictured above split like a dream. Even the twisted branches were better than I had expected.

Thanks again
Forgot to mention. My 7 year old son calls the marks in the wood "ant writing" because we usually find ants in the trees.

They have a library on my land.

Reactions: albert1029

Thanks again

It is elm bark borer that carries the dutch elm disease fungus. Subtle difference, they go hand in hand. Part of the 1-2 punch that kills the trees.

Looks like elm, but that is a difficult pic. to judge from.

Pretty sure thats DED. I lost all my American elm (4) on my property years ago. Red Elm still thriving.

Yup, elm beetle tracks. There are 2 versions, the american and european one. One makes the tracks cross grain, one with. I can't remember which does which.

Status
Not open for further replies.