Wood ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Burning Hunk
Jan 19, 2013
Northern Minnesota
image.jpg image.jpg Any ideas?

Looks like oak to me.

KC

+3 on the oak

Thanks, I was thinking it was an oak also. Just doesn't look like any of the other oak's we have which I believe are all burr or white oak.

Reactions: nrford
Hard Maple. Note the absence of Medullary rays. Brown heart wood, stained sapwood because tree had been dead, as evidenced by the rot. If it where oak you would have a consistant ring where sapwood had rotted, this tree shows rot well into it in an irregular pattern. Bark is also very consistant with northern Hard Maple. I've also seen about 50 million board feet of Hard Maple logs and lumber over the last 25 years.

Last edited:
Hard Maple. Note the absence of Medullary rays. Brown heart wood, stained sapwood because tree had been dead, as evidenced by the rot. If it where oak you would have a consistant ring where sapwood had rotted, this tree shows rot well into it in an irregular pattern. Bark is also very consistant with northern Hard Maple. I've also seen about 50 million board feet of Hard Maple logs and lumber over the last 25 years.
That's pretty convincing nrford. Tree has been dead and is starting to rot just like you described also.

Just smell it, no mistaking the smell of Oak.

Reactions: UncleJoe
Interesting. The wood does look like red oak but like nrford says, no medullary rays. Can't be oak. I'll hop in line behind nrford!

Last edited:
Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.