Wood ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
2 year old osage

007.JPG

Yep, those new pics (and nrford's word) confirm it. Elm.
I couldn't tell Red from Siberian without making bark jelly like Applesister describes..., but to me, it doesn't matter. When it comes to firewood I consider just 2 types of Elm. Elm that I can split (Red & Siberian) and Elm that I will just beat on until it turns to pulp (American). I will pass on the later every time, but burn plenty of the former.
It still isn't the best splitting, but not too bad. I bet you'll like the way it dries and burns!

Reactions: nrford
I consider just 2 types of Elm. Elm that I can split (Red & Siberian) and Elm that I will just beat on until it turns to pulp (American)
I don't know how Siberian burns, but Red is a step above American. I would rate Red Elm between Cherry and White Ash for burning quality.

Siberian elm is decent firewood, but the ash it leaves is pretty amazing.

When it dries out, it will be much lighter in color, similar to white ash and American elm, but it doesn't turn gray after being exposed to weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.