Wood ID, please.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sushiyummy

May 17, 2014
Media, PA
Some one offer me this load, any one know what it is? What kind of wood is this.jpg What kind of wood is this_1.jpg

Im not sure but that stuff has been sitting there a while. Long enough for softer woods to rot away. So its a species that doesnt rot easy.
I dont feel confident enough to say locust...IDK. I say go look at it and take a pocket knife with you.

That could be Black Locust. The bark looks like Black Locust, but there are many trees with similar bark, and the big rounds aren't very round, which is a typical thing on big Black Locust trees.

yep, black locust, really old black locust.

Reactions: Lakeside
You may be able to burn that immediately.

Black Locust is very high in BTUs. Straight pieces will be easy to split, especially since the center is missing or rotten, which makes the outside easier to split.

Status
Not open for further replies.