Wood ID please.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AmbDrvr253

Minister of Fire
Aug 4, 2015
Northeast PA
Anyone? Craigslist ad. They say it is a fruit tree.

Attachments

• 20150807_211417.jpg
    20150807_211417.jpg
    661.8 KB · Views: 218
  • 20150807_211505.jpg
    20150807_211505.jpg
    896.3 KB · Views: 195
  • 20150807_211519.jpg
    20150807_211519.jpg
    427.6 KB · Views: 168
That appears to be part of main. I am thinking Mulberry. Just based on fact that they said it bore fruit. Like that throughout. Even smaller branches have red heart wood.

Either way it'll burn I guess. Beggars cannot be choosers :p

Reactions: Fred Wright
Ill pick it up tomorrow. Do some processing after work. See how it does against the Fiskars :3

Mulberry when green (fresh) is yellow inside, then turns that reddish-brown color as it dries, so I'm assuming this piece was split awhile ago.

Bark not right for mulberry (it's smooth, no furrows); and doesn't look like a fruit tree (Prunus).
I've seen it before but can't definitively place it.
It has the look of an exotic - perhaps mimosa (Albizia julibrissin), or less likely toon tree. Mimosa does have brown heartwood. If so, not greatest burning. I wouldn't go too far out of my way, and wouldn't pay for it. NE PA probably beyond hardiness zone for mimosa.

Said it was down for several weeks. I'll post more after deciding if I am gonna pick it up or not. Only a mile from work. Was in yard.

Go get it anyway and add it to your pile, if its an exotic they usually have stunted growth (genetics) and burn hot/well. Dont fiddle fart with guessing...just dry and burn it.
It looks weird to me too. It may not be a native. But just do it. Volume is important in the beginning.

Bark not right for mulberry (it's smooth, no furrows); and doesn't look like a fruit tree (Prunus).
I've seen it before but can't definitively place it.
It has the look of an exotic - perhaps mimosa (Albizia julibrissin), or less likely toon tree. Mimosa does have brown heartwood. If so, not greatest burning. I wouldn't go too far out of my way, and wouldn't pay for it. NE PA probably beyond hardiness zone for mimosa.

We do have Mimosa here, and you are right it's nothing to brag about as fuelwood. I've never seen any with that dark of a heartwood, it's usually more light yellow color, but it looks more like Mimosa than Mulberry. It could be an ornamental hybrid tree.....

Go get it anyway and add it to your pile, if its an exotic they usually have stunted growth (genetics) and burn hot/well. Dont fiddle fart with guessing...just dry and burn it.
It looks weird to me too. It may not be a native. But just do it. Volume is important in the beginning.

Agreed. And I have yet to be disappointed from "fruit trees". Black cherry, apple, pear. I like them all.

Picked it up today. ALOT of 1" limbs. It is indeed yellow inside. 90% sure of mulberry now. Doesn't really matter what kind. I am sure it was a hybrid as it was in someones back yard.

Picked it up today. ALOT of 1" limbs. It is indeed yellow inside. 90% sure of mulberry now. Doesn't really matter what kind. I am sure it was a hybrid as it was in someones back yard.
That is definitely mulberry. I see Mulberry with that bark all the time.

Bark was off for Mulberry, but the dry wood color was spot on. Every time I walk past my stacks I'm amazed at the dark color of seasoned mulberry compared to fresh cut.

I think it is a Japanese Mulberry. Did a google search and found an exact match for the bark. Either way Mulberry is Mulberry and it was free......LOL It will burn. Only one explorer load tho :( Gonna season it till 16/17.

Attachments

• Japanese_mulberry_bark_small.jpg
    Japanese_mulberry_bark_small.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 109
I think it is a Japanese Mulberry. Did a google search and found an exact match for the bark. Either way Mulberry is Mulberry and it was free......LOL It will burn. Only one explorer load tho :( Gonna season it till 16/17.

It sounds like this case has been solved then! :)

There may be a lot of those around me because I see them all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.