Wood id please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diabel

Minister of Fire
Jan 11, 2008
Ottawa, ON
I was certain this was silver maple. But now I am doubting myself. Some pieces are light, some are a bit heavy (all 18-20 mc). Could this be sugar maple.
No leaves available.
image.jpg

Here is the other side.
image.jpg

Not so sure about the cherry. Black cherry bark is usually more "scaly" or "flaky". Does look like silver maple bark. Perhaps there were parts of it that were dead standing? That would explain the heavy and light parts.

For sure it is maple. I remember seeing maple leves on it before it got blown over.
And I was certain it was silver but after looking at some pictures online I am not sure now.
I am treating it as my shoulder stash, it is burning very nice and long. I would be ticked if in fact it was sugar and I did not save it for the cold.

Looks like all the silvers in my yard, woods and wood pile, the easiest way to tell is when it's windy outside, the leaves will turn upside down and show their silver bellies....my grandmother said when that happens a thunderstorm was coming, probably was 50 / 50 on that theory.

Reactions: Jay106n
I like that theory.
I went to the wood shed today and examined other pieces. Sure looks like silver. I do have sugar further deep in the stacks, wish I could compare.

Calling NrFord or Wood Duck......

It looks like Red Maple to me, but Red, Silver, and Sugar can have similar bark, and from a single piece of the trunk it can be hard to tell. No matter, Red and Silver are similar, and Sugar is even better.

I'd say red maple, but kinda flipping a coin to be honest. Too bad no leaves, but either way if it's burning good you're golden...

I was just thinking, I can pick the red, silver, sugar, and Norway out from the thick bed of leaves all over the property with no problem (and birch, poplar, etc too) - but show me a maple split / bark and I have a much tougher time. Oh well, any / all of these = 72 deg inside when it's -20 outside, nice to have any of them in the stack.

Was branching habit opposite to alternate ? If alternate, not maple.
Buds ? Twigs ?

Bark, and wood look like river birch. Depending on the tree, age, part of tree, its bark is sometimes papery, sometimes corn-flakey. I've got both types in my stacks.

I will take more pictures tomorrow, I am pretty sure it is a maple kind.
However, it was growing Ina swampy area.

Reactions: warbonnet
Status
Not open for further replies.