Wood ID Please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Loren

Dec 21, 2015
North Minnesota
This can't be what I think it may be. Found it at the dump.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 435
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    332.8 KB · Views: 396
My vote, and take it with a grain of salt. I'm still very new to this. But I'm trying to get good at identity by bark. I'm thinking hickory.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Ash!

Reactions: Lakeside
Im thinking catalpa <> Any idea of what leaves look like?

The first photo looks a lot like hop hornbeam bark. The color of the sapwood and heartwood look right too. If those big pieces are insanely heavy then that's my guess. The second photo looks like a different species altogether. I'd guess basswood without physically holding and smelling it. Basswood has a very distinct odor that I can't really describe. Very light and soft when dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone!

Sorry AmbDrvr253 - there were no leaves around it.

I was hoping that it was Hornbeam. It looks exactly like what I have been told is hornbeam in the past but what do I know. The bark is now where near like the type of Ash I am used to. Much smother and not a think.

Thanks everyone!

Sorry AmbDrvr253 - there were no leaves around it.

I was hoping that it was Hornbeam. It looks exactly like what I have been told is hornbeam in the past but what do I know. The bark is now where near like the type of Ash I am used to. Much smother and not a think.
It certainly looks more like hop hornbeam than ash.

The 2nd looks like it could be Pear to me. That one connected branch is smooth like Pear and the the bigger logs look also like Pear.

I've never seen hop hornbeam/ ironwood as big as those rounds in the vehicle.

That doesn't look like the ash I'm used to. Let us know how it splits. It looks a little elmish to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree! Splitting it will give a lot more valuable information.

Hop hornbeam , i split some today . Not too common to see a tree that big.

I agree it looks like Hop Hornbeam, but I don't think they can get as big as the rounds in the first picture. I don't know what it is.

Hi everyone,

I had a chance to split this wood over the weekend. Do these pics give anymore clues as to what it is?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 146
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 154
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 173
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 150
Still going with ironwood

eastern hop-hornbeam is my guess for most of it(especialy what is in the back of the vehicle). It does not appear to all be the same though. Fairly certain I see at least one piece of elm in that split pile, and possibly some ash in the stack.

Status
Not open for further replies.