Wood ID Please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KenLockett

Minister of Fire
Dec 27, 2011
Eastern Upstate NY
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

It could be red elm ( slippery elm ). Got any leave pictures ?

It's standing dead so no leaves unfortunately.

Hoping no seconds on Basswood. Trying to decide if worth the effort.

image.png

Okay so butternut lower BTU than Basswood? Anyone have any comment as to whether taking a dead butternut down is worth it?

Not to sound snobish, but personally, I would not 'purposefully' cut anything on that list unless it was all the wood I had access to or fell down literally in my yard / or at the wood pile. With that said, I have burned cottonwood, willow, cedar and pine off that list simply because the wood literally 'came to me'. Otherwise, you will probably generate much more heat cutting, splitting, stacking, and moving it than you ever will by burning it.

Trying to decide if worth the effort.

I can relate to your quest. So what other options are there ? Is the location ideal ? Is your wood supply low ?

Yes, the hunt for firewood can be challenging, but it can be fun too. Give us an update to your journey.

I can relate to your quest. So what other options are there ? Is the location ideal ? Is your wood supply low ?

Yes, the hunt for firewood can be challenging, but it can be fun too. Give us an update to your journey.

I would ask myself the same questions. Add to that how much storage space do you have, how much do you burn a year, how much do you already have. All questions without answers. I found it hard to turn down any free wood until recently when i finally got 4 years ahead.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Status
Not open for further replies.