Wood id please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EPS

Burning Hunk
Jun 5, 2015
NH
Picked up some free wood from a pretty gnarly pile yesterday. Some of it is salvageable for my 22-23 stack, but a lot of it is going to be sold to campers.

What is this? Keep it our bundle it up next spring for campfire wood?
20210813_101525.jpg
20210813_101521.jpg

Looks like Oak to my relatively untrained eye? Red oak family?

The squarish spots on the split surfaces make me think maple

All oak

Seems like red oak to me.

Reactions: Dmitry
+1 for some type of red oak

Reactions: Dmitry
Count me in for oak.

Nice Medullary ray fleck Red Oak

As the question of the OP has been answered, I have the following one for my education.

I cut down a maple in my backyard that had the same squarish spots on the split surface. As oak apparently shows this (tho I have not seen it much with oak), and I have seen it in maple (don't know which kind), what trees show such spots?

This explains it pretty well

This type of lumber is expensive because there is not much in a log.
In maple, you see it in some trees but not others and is commonly
known as tiger maple because it looks like tiger stripes.
Most woodworkers, call it figured maple
also expensive.

Ok. Thank you.

red oak. the bark also says red oak and the piece that looks like the bark came off says red oak

So, as this seems to have been solved, let me post the next one. I got a load of oak rounds delivered. And it contained this; a branch or trunk of about 8" dia. Dark inside. A beast to split; stringy. It cracks but does not split. Even with two wedges completely in, I still have to use a hatchet to cut through strings in the wide open gap.

I thought it was all oak (tree was large, more than 2.5 ft dia) and saw this and thought the branch had some rot someplace, leading to brown streaking elsewhere. But its splitting behavior is completely different from the oak.

Any idea if I got something mixed in that was not oak? What does this look like to you?

The pic with the stack is to show the different splitting behavior with the other pieces.
(And no, that body part visible is not my splitting attire.. )

IMG_20210827_171931955_BURST001.jpg

IMG_20210827_171946992~2.jpg IMG_20210827_171956001~2.jpg IMG_20210827_171937790.jpg IMG_20210827_171943664.jpg IMG_20210827_171921897.jpg

stovelike it is hickory. And that is why I don't mess with hickory. Great firewood if you have a mechanical splitter.

Plus, the one load of hickory I got delivered, when I went to burn it 2 years later the wood was covered with powdery sawdust. Hickory bark beetles. No more hickory for me.

Ok. Thank you!
I did not see beetle damage, and it's stacked within 2.5 cords of oak, so I hope it'll come out ok.