Wood ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
I am in North Central NJ. A tree guy dropped these off a few months ago. I think I know what they are, but am not sure. Any help?

Attachments

• Wood ID.jpg
    Wood ID.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 792
Looks like ash to me!

I am pretty sure its some kind of maple. I was surprised to see streaks inside. The bark is kind of grey/silver. This was split with a chainsaw.

gzecc said:
I am pretty sure its some kind of maple. I was surprised to see streaks inside. The bark is kind of grey/silver. This was split with a chainsaw.
Bark doesnt look like maple that i have ever cut.If i had to put money down i would stick with white ash

After reading about white ash, that is where I am now leaning!

Maple is known for streaking on the inside, but Ash will as well. Ash also splits much more easily, and tends to be less knotty than maple. The ash i've been cutting tends to be straight long logs that split easily, while my maple is stringy when I split it and seems to hold more moisture.

The maple around here is smooth barked, that looks like my favorite wood...ash. But I'd hate to bet against LEE when it comes to wood identification seeing that he's a well traveled pro wood dealer doing 500 cords a year and I've just been cutting off the back lot.

From my research regarding tulip, I doubt a tree guy would have gone out of his way to give it to me. It is low grade firewood.

Looks a lot like the maple i just split up a few months ago. It split like a dream, straight not stringy at all. When it hit the wedge on the splitter (about 1 inch in) POP all the way through. Then i started splitting some Locust not quite as easy.

tulip poplar, splits real easy.

I split some this morning into 3-4" splits and put it in the insert. Feed 5-6 pieces of paper under it. It caught and burned thoroughly. This wood has been sitting in rounds (uncovered)for 6-8 months on a pallet. I only cut it open yesterday.
It is very light in weight. Obviously burns nicely without seasoning.
My vote is white ash.

I split more this morning. It does split easy if there is not a knot. It has a sweet smell

Attachments

• DSCF0192.JPG
    DSCF0192.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 611
Actually thats a maple. Leaves are still on it.

another picture. Remember I put it in the wood insert without drying and it burned fine. What other wood will do that besides ash. It was a cold start up also.

Attachments

• DSCF0193.JPG
    DSCF0193.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 548
Basswood

LEES WOOD-CO said:
I'll eat your 4-wheeler,cart ,AND wood grenade if it ain't TULIP!

dag, you're pretty sure of yourself ain't?

haha, I got a big ole pile of ash, and what I'm seein here in these pics ain't ash.

poplar, I'm with you on this one Lee, haha, sheesh, I'll eat whatever's leftover if it ain't, haha, :)

Gotta agree with Tulip Poplar; neighbor has one right next to our house that supplies me with plenty of free kindling. Very light, quick-burning wood.

I thought poplar needed drying and was still smokey. It does look like poplar, but it burned so well.

That is Tulip "poplar" if I have ever seen one. They are everywhere around here. By the way that is most certainly an ash tree behind your cart.

Status
Not open for further replies.