Wood ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible for an ash tree to have maple shape leaves?

The tree behind the cart is a Norway Maple.
Leaf picture below. I have 4 of these trees around the house.

Attachments

• DSCF0195.JPG
    DSCF0195.JPG
    175.5 KB · Views: 313
Doesn't ash bark have a diamond pattern? hmmm.... 100% positive its...........wood of some kind. Only thing I am slightly positive about it is that its not walnut or cherry....or ash. Love how so many peeps here can be so positive identifying a split with some bark. Lets just keep these id's to what they really are; a good guess at best.

gzecc......It seems to me that you only want people to agree with you that it is ash. So.....Call it what you want, you have some pretty well schooled people telling you it is tulip poplar. I'd go with that. I'll tell ya it isn't ash, I've never cut tulip poplar so I wouldn't know if that's what it is or not. And for those of you doubting a positive ID can be made from a couple pieces of splits w/bark on them, if you know your trees....I'd bet you can positively ID it correctly 90% of the time.

I do agree that the splits are probably tulip poplar, I was hoping it was ash! I am surprised they burn without being seasoned!
The first guy said it was ash, and had me going.

LEES WOOD-CO said:
I'll eat your wood grenade if it ain't TULIP !
Fair enough for me tulip it is

Glacialhills said:
Doesn't ash bark have a diamond pattern? hmmm.... 100% positive its...........wood of some kind. Only thing I am slightly positive about it is that its not walnut or cherry....or ash. Love how so many peeps here can be so positive identifying a split with some bark. Lets just keep these id's to what they really are; a good guess at best.

Hehehe . You FUNNY MAN !!! It's my JOB to know species!!! If I doubted my guess I surely woundn't eat anything but cake! %-P

Ash has a particularly well defined early growth ring. Look at the rings- the pithy, spongy part is early growth. The denser part is late growth. In white ash the hard part is very hard, and the spongy part is well defined and thick. This makes ash lumber pretty striking when a stain is applied and wiped off. It's a good defining feathure when you look at just the wood... if you look at a lot of wood.

Hehehe . You FUNNY MAN !!! It’s my JOB to know species!!! If I doubted my guess I surely woundn’t eat anything but cake!

You do understand the difference between species and genus right? And that it just isn't possible to give a 100% positive species id by looking at bark alone. Genus maybe(and as these threads show even that is difficult for most) but not species. I am sure you r right on the tulip id. But I am just as sure that I could show you a bunch of different genus and pics of just bark and split would present exactly the same as each other. If species id is your job then you know that the only way to be 100% positive in species id (not saying genus id) is to have leaves, nodes, bark all working together to make the id. If you were correct, why dont field Identification books only need to show bark as positive species id.

Glacialhills said:
Hehehe . You FUNNY MAN !!! It’s my JOB to know species!!! If I doubted my guess I surely woundn’t eat anything but cake!

You do understand the difference between species and genus right? And that it just isn't possible to give a 100% positive species id by looking at bark alone. Genus maybe(and as these threads show even that is difficult for most) but not species. I am sure you r right on the tulip id. But I am just as sure that I could show you a bunch of different genus and pics of just bark and split would present exactly the same as each other. If species id is your job then you know that the only way to be 100% positive in species id (not saying genus id) is to have leaves, nodes, bark all working together to make the id. If you were correct, why dont field Identification books only need to show bark as positive species id.

Species & genus ? Didn't know we were getting that specific Professor Woodrow!!!!!!!!! Loosen up a little ! It's just a forum.
Next time I'll be sure to post,,, "It's NOT hemlok,pine,cherry, maple,beech,birch,tamarak,oak,aspen,cottonwood,basswood,cucumber,spruce,ash,ironwood,etc.,etc."
Tulip I'm sure of and I'd be willing to bet $$$$$$$$ and kiss your azz if it ain't!

The definitive test for tulip poplar: smell some of the smoke. Poplar smoke is vile stuff. Ash smoke has a pleasant, almost vanilla-like aroma.

Status
Not open for further replies.