1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Wood ID please

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by gzecc, Oct 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
    Is it possible for an ash tree to have maple shape leaves?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    Are they maple shaped leaves or maple leaves?
  3. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
    The tree behind the cart is a Norway Maple.
    Leaf picture below. I have 4 of these trees around the house.

Attached Files:

4. glacialhills

glacialhills Member

Loc:
    S.W. Michigan
    Doesn't ash bark have a diamond pattern? hmmm.... 100% positive its...........wood of some kind. Only thing I am slightly positive about it is that its not walnut or cherry....or ash. Love how so many peeps here can be so positive identifying a split with some bark. Lets just keep these id's to what they really are; a good guess at best.
  5. countrybois

countrybois Member

Loc:
    NE Illinois
    gzecc......It seems to me that you only want people to agree with you that it is ash. So.....Call it what you want, you have some pretty well schooled people telling you it is tulip poplar. I'd go with that. I'll tell ya it isn't ash, I've never cut tulip poplar so I wouldn't know if that's what it is or not. And for those of you doubting a positive ID can be made from a couple pieces of splits w/bark on them, if you know your trees....I'd bet you can positively ID it correctly 90% of the time.
  6. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
    I do agree that the splits are probably tulip poplar, I was hoping it was ash! I am surprised they burn without being seasoned!
    The first guy said it was ash, and had me going.
  7. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Fair enough for me tulip it is
  8. JustWood

JustWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Arrow Bridge,NY
    Hehehe . You FUNNY MAN !!! It's my JOB to know species!!! If I doubted my guess I surely woundn't eat anything but cake! %-P
  9. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    Ash has a particularly well defined early growth ring. Look at the rings- the pithy, spongy part is early growth. The denser part is late growth. In white ash the hard part is very hard, and the spongy part is well defined and thick. This makes ash lumber pretty striking when a stain is applied and wiped off. It's a good defining feathure when you look at just the wood... if you look at a lot of wood.
  10. JustWood

Loc:
    Arrow Bridge,NY
    Ash also has a dark brown heartwood, which this pics shows none.
  11. glacialhills

glacialhills Member

Loc:
    S.W. Michigan
    You do understand the difference between species and genus right? And that it just isn't possible to give a 100% positive species id by looking at bark alone. Genus maybe(and as these threads show even that is difficult for most) but not species. I am sure you r right on the tulip id. But I am just as sure that I could show you a bunch of different genus and pics of just bark and split would present exactly the same as each other. If species id is your job then you know that the only way to be 100% positive in species id (not saying genus id) is to have leaves, nodes, bark all working together to make the id. If you were correct, why dont field Identification books only need to show bark as positive species id.
  12. JustWood

Loc:
    Arrow Bridge,NY
    Species & genus ? Didn't know we were getting that specific Professor Woodrow!!!!!!!!! Loosen up a little ! It's just a forum.
    Next time I'll be sure to post,,, "It's NOT hemlok,pine,cherry, maple,beech,birch,tamarak,oak,aspen,cottonwood,basswood,cucumber,spruce,ash,ironwood,etc.,etc."
    Tulip I'm sure of and I'd be willing to bet $$$$$$$$ and kiss your azz if it ain't!
  13. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    I believe I can clear this up. My guess is Liriodendron tulipifera. Its that or tulipburnethfine.
  14. DiscoInferno

DiscoInferno Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Silver Spring, MD/ Munising, MI
    The definitive test for tulip poplar: smell some of the smoke. Poplar smoke is vile stuff. Ash smoke has a pleasant, almost vanilla-like aroma.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.