Wood ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shipper50

Minister of Fire
Nov 10, 2007
Indiana
I am still learning the wood we have here in Southern Indiana, here is a cut I did yesterday of a wind blown tree that I don't know for sure what it is. It splits easy with my famous Chopper Axe. The wood has a ring in the center on some of the pieces.

Thanks
Shipper

Added more pics for the mystery wood.

Thanks

Attachments

• wood1_450_600.jpg
    wood1_450_600.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 653
  • wood_450_600.jpg
    wood_450_600.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 635
  • wood2_600_450.jpg
    wood2_600_450.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 469
  • wood3_600_450.jpg
    wood3_600_450.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 460
  • wood4_600_450.jpg
    wood4_600_450.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 464
Looks like cherry in first picture. Second one...not so much. Wild cherry has a bark brown chip-like bark with a darker slightly reddish hue to the wood. Splits easy and very common.

Is it incredibly lightweight? Does it have a distinct odor when burning?

Stephen in SoKY said:
Is it incredibly lightweight? Does it have a distinct odor when burning?
No and No, its not light but not heavy. Its just cut, so still to moist to burn. When I split it with my Chopper Axe it had a core like center. Never saw any wood like this up north.

Shipper

I don't know what poplar looks like in other parts of the country, but it don't look like that here in southern Indiana. The wood does but the bark doesn't. Any more bark pics you could show us?

webby3650 said:
I don't know what poplar looks like in other parts of the country, but it don't look like that here in southern Indiana. The wood does but the bark doesn't. Any more bark pics you could show us?
I will take more pics and closer up tomorrow.

Shipper

a clearer closer shot of the bark would tell better ,looks like maple or popular

The bark looks like Cherry, but it's definitely not Cherry. The heartwood looks like Tulip Tree, but not the bark. The only true Poplars in southern Indiana are Cottonwoods and it's not that. The wood looks a little like Catalpa too.
Was the tree tall or medium sized?
Were the branches low on the trunk or high?
Does the wood have any kind of a smell to it when you split it?

Woodford said:
The bark looks like Cherry, but it's definitely not Cherry. The heartwood looks like Tulip Tree, but not the bark. The only true Poplars in southern Indiana are Cottonwoods and it's not that. The wood looks a little like Catalpa too.
I added more pics of the tree. The size was about 12-14 inches at the base, split doesnt really have a smell different than other wood. Not like oak, or cherry does.

Shipper

Shipper50 said:
Woodford said:
I added more pics of the tree. The size was about 12-14 inches at the base, split doesnt really have a smell different than other wood. Not like oak, or cherry does.

Shipper
sure looks like silver maple to me

It could be Silver Maple, but it looks like it was dead for a while before it fell and the bark has deteriorated to the point that it looks shaggy like Maple.
I think it's Tulip Tree/Yellow Poplar. Tulips usually grow in groves, from what I've seen. Are there other tall slender trees near where this tree was?
I think it cored out because it's been dead for so long. Looks to me like it's almost ready to burn, as long as it wasn't laying in a lot of wetness.
Here's a pic of split Tulip, cut from dead standing.
4ftso6.jpg

I don't think its been dead that long, its still wet in the middle when split. I know for sure its not honey locust as I cut one on my neighbors land and it was nothing like this.

This tree was a blow over on the start of the hill behind my house. There were no other trees so to speak around it. I would say the tree is no more than one or 2 years down.

Shipper

Shipper50 said:
I don't think its been dead that long, its still wet in the middle when split. I know for sure its not honey locust as I cut one on my neighbors land and it was nothing like this.

This tree was a blow over on the start of the hill behind my house. There were no other trees so to speak around it. I would say the tree is no more than one or 2 years down.

Shipper
I would be very shock if thats not silver maple. I burn it 80 percent of the time!

smokinj said:
Shipper50 said:

Shipper
I would be very shock if thats not silver maple. I burn it 80 percent of the time!
You might be right as I went to the tree this morning and saw there was 2 small limbs next to it, not sure if they were from this tree, but the limbs had maple pods on the very tip of the limbs.

Shipper

Shipper50 said:
smokinj said:
Shipper50 said:

Shipper
You might be right as I went to the tree this morning and saw there was 2 small limbs next to it, not sure if they were from this tree, but the limbs had maple pods on the very tip of the limbs.

Shipper
Ive done 30 +cords of it this season lot of that stuff around Like to find something else for a change but it burns good

Woodford said:
It could be Silver Maple, but it looks like it was dead for a while before it fell and the bark has deteriorated to the point that it looks shaggy like Maple.
I think it's Tulip Tree/Yellow Poplar. Tulips usually grow in groves, from what I've seen. Are there other tall slender trees near where this tree was?
I think it cored out because it's been dead for so long. Looks to me like it's almost ready to burn, as long as it wasn't laying in a lot of wetness.
4ftso6.jpg
I am pretty certain that is red Elm not Tulip. It has that distinct red color and stringy grain, I bet it even has a weird smell!

webby3650 said:
Woodford said:
4ftso6.jpg
I am pretty certain that is red Elm not Tulip. It has that distinct red color and stringy grain, I bet it even has a weird smell!
one thing for sure, your getting the snow this time!

I sure hope we get the snow forcasted! I love the snow, it seems like they usually get us all geared up down here and nothing happens :coolgrin: It always seems to go north of us.

webby3650 said:
Isure hope we get the snow forcasted! I love the snow, it seems like they usually get us all geared up down here and nothing happens :coolgrin: It always seems to go north of us.
not this time its all yours think where looking at 5-7 in

Woodford said:
There's no such thing as red elm.
Perhaps what I call red Elm is in fact Dutch Elm. It would certianly appear that red elm does exsist! Back to the point, that ain't Tulip.

Status
Not open for further replies.