Wood ID Please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

homebrewz

Minister of Fire
Nov 29, 2005
East Central, NY
Yes, another round of Name the Wood!

This is from half of a tree that came down in my folks' yard during the last ice storm.
Finally got around to cutting it up today.. its not overly soft like a poplar, but real wet
and has these reddish streaks in the heartwood.. not all the time, just occasionally.

Posted are a couple of pics (US quarter for scale).
Any ideas? Sorry about the pic quality.. cell phone camera.

edit: forgot to mention that it splits fairly easily and clean

Attachments

• Wood_3_09.jpg
    Wood_3_09.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 840
  • Wood_3_09_2.jpg
    Wood_3_09_2.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 816
LOL, that looks like poplar to me too! Hmm..everything I look at looks like poplar. weird

The bark looks like ash to me. Not familiar with popular.

These are from a large branch that broke off.. the main tree is about 30' high.. maybe 1.5 to 2 feet in diameter.
I suppose it could be poplar, however disappointing that may be!

Not sure, but it reminds me a lot of Locust.

Id have to say ash

yeah, I'm with ya J...looks like ash, get a shot of those small rounds in the back, the one with the twig on it would help.

Aren't there any leaves around?

Boxelder has red streaks in it, but the wood is a creamy white, I'd have to guess some kind of Poplar.

I cut around 7 cords of white ash this winter and those pictures look pretty much like ash to me. Splits easy. Burns great.

That is definitely ash. I have cut about 5-6 green ash trees this winter with the same exact bark, inner wood, and even the very same fungus on the bark.

Does the tree flower?
The bark looks like a Bradford pear to me.

homebrewz said:
Yes, another round of Name the Wood!

This is from half of a tree that came down in my folks' yard during the last ice storm.
Finally got around to cutting it up today.. its not overly soft like a poplar, but real wet
and has these reddish streaks in the heartwood.. not all the time, just occasionally.

Posted are a couple of pics (US quarter for scale).
Any ideas? Sorry about the pic quality.. cell phone camera.

edit: forgot to mention that it splits fairly easily and clean

No, I don't think its any kind of pear. I grew up with this tree in the back yard, and I never
remember it flowering. So far, its either some kind of: poplar, ash, or if I'm lucky, locust.
I'm stopping by there soon so I can look for last years leaves, but the yard gets raked every year!

Thanks for the replies.. I'll re-post if I get it figured out.

Looks like ash to me also, do the branches alternate or are the opposite?

I'll still go with ash.

Its Poplar didnt you see my picture.. :mad: LOL Im just teasing.

As soon as I figure out how to send the whole file I can send it to whom ever wants it.

Jamess67 said:

Its not poplar or locust for sure... if you look at the yellow poplar (similiar to tulip)pic it has its lighter color in the indents of the bark and darker color on the raised part of the bark unlike most bark and unlike the ID pic (has the darker color in the indent ridges and lighter on the raised parts). Also the id pic bark is much browner then poplar and poplar heart is not red, more like grey with dark grey streaks. It looks very different from black locust which has yellowish and greenish wood and heart( and will glow under a black light). If I had 2 guesses I would say green ash or box elder.

box elder has redish heart

Attachments

• boxelder2.jpg
    boxelder2.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 230
Status
Not open for further replies.