1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Wood ID please!!!!!!!

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by captainjim04, Apr 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. captainjim04

captainjim04 New Member

Loc:
    Delaware
    I scrounged a full truck load of pic 1 and 2 the other day. The wood has very smooth bark and a dark brown heart. My guess was walnut or ash but would think the bark should be rougher. Pic 3 and 4 my 5 year old and I scrounged 3 full truck loads yesterday already bucked but some need to be whacked to fit in stove. I think it is norway maple but like to hear what you all think. I scrounged this same kind a couple of years ago and was told it was norway maple and it burned incredible. Super heavy and I couldn't keep the stove under 550 with it.

I have been looking for dead fall for the next shoulder seasons and I have been finding green wood. Go figure!

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. captainjim04

captainjim04 New Member

Loc:
    Delaware
    I had to put the pics 3 and 4 on here. These are the ones I thought were norway maple. thanks...Jim

Attached Files:

3. DiscoInferno

DiscoInferno Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Silver Spring, MD/ Munising, MI
    If you split or cut one of the logs with the dark center, is the newly exposed heartwood that same brown, or is it bright yellow? If yellow, then I'll go with mulberry, although the bark seems too smooth.

The other certainly looks like some kind of maple, but I've never had Norway maple to cut/split. I think Norway maple is a lower density/BTU wood, though, so perhaps you had sugar maple before?
  4. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    X2 Can we see a picture of a fresh split?
  5. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    hard maple most likely norway
  6. captainjim04

captainjim04 New Member

Loc:
    Delaware
    as soon as I buck and split one I will post a pic. I will do that today if this rain lets up. It's pouring down right now. I hope it lets upmay be because I am back to work tomorrow...

I think the maple is norway maple. Found some pics. here is one looks just like it. The sugar looks more of a shaggy bark.

thanks for the replies

Attached Files:

7. Creek-Chub

Creek-Chub New Member

Loc:
    Niles, MI
    That bark looks alot like mulberry, but I've never seen mulberry with such dark heartwood. Then again, most mulberry trees don't get that big around. We scrounged some pretty good sized ones a month ago, maybe 20" or so in dia, and I don't recall it being that dark. Sort of purplish, maybe, but not that dark. That said, I'm no expert.
  8. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
    Looks like a young norway maple <25yrs. I think its considered a hard maple.
  9. Wood Duck

Wood Duck Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central PA
    I think based on the bark the first two pics look like Ailanthus altissima, aka Ailanthus, or tree of heaven. This is a fast-growing weedy tree that would probably have light wood when dry, guessing just from the rate at which it grows. I have never cut one open to see if it is brown inside, and i don't know how it would burn. Ailanthus has a nasty smell, which might help with ID.
  10. captainjim04

captainjim04 New Member

Loc:
    Delaware
    I split the wood from pics 1 and 2. It is brown inside the splits. There isn't much of a smell to it. The grain is really awsome looking.

Attached Files:

11. Pagey

Pagey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Middle TN
    I have no idea what that is, but that is a beautiful color! Can you make me a bedroom suite from that? :)
  12. HittinSteel

HittinSteel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeastern Ohio
    No idea on pictures 1 and 2 but you're right on 3 and 4. Tree service cut a bunch of Norways on my street. I was able to get a couple cords and it looks exactly like your pictures. Glad to hear it burns well, which I figured it would since it weighs a ton.
  13. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
    young black walnut?
  14. Wood Duck

Wood Duck Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central PA
    I'd say this is not young black walnut. Young black walnut around here have the same rough, ridged bark that older black walnut have, and besides, this is a pretty large tree.
  15. Fins59

Fins59 Member

Loc:
    Wisconsin - Wausau area
    I don't know what kind of wood it is but I showed pics to a logger friend and he said - hickory, bittersweet hickory to be exact. I got a couple cords of hickory from him last winter and to me, the bark does look like hickory.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.