Wood ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigcube

Feb 27, 2008
Upstate NY
Anyone got a clue? It split's awful, very stringy and the grain is not straight.
WhatKindOfWood.jpg

I was playing with a new camera and a new toy :cheese:
Splitter.jpg

One more pic, the start of my wood shed.
Woodshed3.jpg

I'm guessing it's Birch. Did you buy, borrow, rent, or steal the splitter? Is that a SpeeCo?

It could be birch, it was nasty and stringy I know that much. It will give me great pleasure to burn it.

I bought, it's a Huskee 22T. I need to get in a mode where I split a bunch and stack a bunch. Otherwise I'm never going to get this done. My hands can't take the hand splitting.

Ja, every now and then you came across a Birch with a curly or twisted grain. Can be a sumbitch to split. I used to curse them before I got my splitter. In fact, it was a truckload of gnarly Birch that sent me shopping for my splitter. Then I discovered Elm.

One suggestion, buy a cradle for it. I got mine off ebay and it works well. Also, keep an EYE out for bolts that loosen on their own.

Shipper

Bigcube said:
What's a cradle?
Some might call it a cradle or a table. Look at the picture of what I am talking about. Saves your back a ton.

Shipper

Attachments

• hert lane 109_600_450.jpg
    hert lane 109_600_450.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 394
Does it smell like Birch Beer?(no pun intended)
When I split that stuff it makes me thirsty.
I split some in late Jan and some of it was pretty twisted.......didnt have one half round that was straight......the same goes for Cherry and red maple around here "twisted"
I always grab for birch during the day to revive the fire......catches really good.
It makes great kindling too.

WB

WOODBUTCHER said:
...didnt have one half round that was straight...
IKWYM
I like using half-round splits to cross-pile the row ends and was hard pressed to find any that didn't wobble badly. I ended up stuffing little shims everywhere.

Shipper50 said:
Bigcube said:
What's a cradle?
Some might call it a cradle or a table. Look at the picture of what I am talking about. Saves your back a ton.

Shipper

So for I have only used it in vertical mode. I can see how it would help in horizontal. Thanks for the pic.

I would gues birch as well never seen it before but has some details like river birch

Status
Not open for further replies.