Wood ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2006
Springfield Ma (western mass)
don't have a clue what this is at first thought red oak but no smell it has been cut for 2 days

Attachments

• IMAG0071.jpg
    IMAG0071.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 604
  • IMAG0072.jpg
    IMAG0072.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 584
my frist thought as well

yeah!!! will be picking it up soon

I agree it's Hickory, pignut or mockernut

Post a picture of a couple pieces that are split.....(not convinced it's natures concrete)
The growth rings seem rather large for such dense wood as hickory. Also, look close at the heart wood.

WoodButcher

I've never split Mockernut, but plenty of Shagbark and Pignut.

Here is a good bark sample of Pignut, I think Lee is correct that it is ELM.

WoodButcher

Attachments

• WB_Pignut.jpg
    WB_Pignut.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 418
I don't think its hickory. Looks to be a softwood by the heart and growth rings. We needum pics of split wood. (and a little bigger than the second pic would be nice)

It does look like elm but the OP said there was no smell. Hard to imagine elm with no smell!

wendell said:
It does look like elm but the OP said there was no smell. Hard to imagine elm with no smell!
the elm tree I drop a couple weeks ago was just shooting water that looks pretty dry for 2 days and not splitt and yes there was a pretty stong smell

Compound leaves? or simple?

My guess is Elm, assuming simple leaves. Hickory is compound.

Looks just like the Elm I have. You will know if it's Elm when you try to split it.

I will try to get more pics i am going to get the wood sat , so one way or the other we will find out.... hopefully its hickory!

iceman said:
I will try to get more pics i am going to get the wood sat , so one way or the other we will find out.... hopefully its hickory!

Where are those pics Iceman!

WoodButcher

Status
Not open for further replies.