Wood ID Please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jlow

Feeling the Heat
Jan 19, 2009
Sterling Heights, Michigan
Picked this up today at my local tree service dump. I was told that this camo stuff is sycamore. I googled and it also looks like planetree maple. What is the concensus?

Attachments

• DSC04914.JPG
    DSC04914.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 461
  • DSC04915.JPG
    DSC04915.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 461
  • DSC04916.JPG
    DSC04916.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 451
Sycamore.

No doubt about that stuff; for sure sycamore. I have never handled it but it is said that it splits terrible.

It is gonna sit all winter so hopefully it will dry for next season. I read previous posts that it is good shoulder wood. I hope the Huskee will handle it well. It did OK with an elm i took down in my yard.

I have some sickeeemore sitting on pallets waiting to dry and some that were split with my Huskee 22 ton. It handled it OK and found that once its dried out, it looses a lot of weight.

Shipper

That's what I'm hopin". This dump sight has a lotta softwood ( birch, spruce and pine) I get as much as I want and it is only a couple of miles away. I am still awaiting my first full year of burnin', so, I am not sure what I will need. I have 8 1/2 cords of cherry, ash, elm and mulberry for the cold months. I am hopng that it will suffice.

Sycamore, see lots of it in my old neighbors yard. Not sure how it burns but I would burn it.

jlow said:
That's what I'm hopin". This dump sight has a lotta softwood ( birch, spruce and pine) I get as much as I want and it is only a couple of miles away. I am still awaiting my first full year of burnin', so, I am not sure what I will need. I have 8 1/2 cords of cherry, ash, elm and mulberry for the cold months. I am hopng that it will suffice.

Copy and paste this link to your browser http://chimneysweeponline.com/howood.htm I copied the web page to my computer. It's a very useful source of information. If I were you I would be grabbing all the good birch I could and leave the sycamore for the next guy. According to the link your cherry is a little below the birch in btu content. The other hard woods you mention though would have me dumping the birch. I burned bl. walnut for about three full years in my EKO40 and it's about like the lesser birch's.

Backwoods Savage said:
No doubt about that stuff; for sure sycamore. I have never handled it but it is said that it splits terrible.

I have, and your right.

I think that is London Plane Tree, or European Sycamore. American Sycamore tends to be whiter where the old bark has peeled, whereas your wood has yellowish fresh bark. It probably doesn't make much difference in the wood.

Cave2k said:
jlow said:

Copy and paste this link to your browser http://chimneysweeponline.com/howood.htm I copied the web page to my computer. It's a very useful source of information. If I were you I would be grabbing all the good birch I could and leave the sycamore for the next guy. According to the link your cherry is a little below the birch in btu content. The other hard woods you mention though would have me dumping the birch. I burned bl. walnut for about three full years in my EKO40 and it's about like the lesser birch's.

Per your suggestion, I went today and grabbed some birch. I need a wood ID on the other stuff.

Attachments

• DSC04917.JPG
    DSC04917.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 287
  • DSC04918.JPG
    DSC04918.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 275
Good thing you've got the splitter. I had some stuff that looked like that last year. I thought it was "gum" or "gumball" wood. In any event, there was no way I could split with ax or TrueTemper Ax/Maul thingy. The rented (prolly 20 ton) splitter tore it apart more than split it.

The "other stuff" looks like it has some sort of rot or infestation.

I wish I had a dumpsite like that where I could just pick up wood anytime. Even if it were all softwoods.

Peace,
- Sequoia

Here are some photos of the tree, leaf and log. Hope it helps in the ID process. It is a large tree and if it does start to come down, it would be nice if it had some BTU potential.

Attachments

• DSC04924.JPG
    DSC04924.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 206
  • DSC04926.JPG
    DSC04926.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 229
  • DSC04919.JPG
    DSC04919.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 230
Nope, not Bam.

jlow said:
Here are some photos of the tree, leaf and log. Hope it helps in the ID process. It is a large tree and if it does start to come down, it would be nice if it had some BTU potential.

cottonwood

double post

smokinj said:
jlow said:
...it would be nice if it had some BTU potential.

cottonwood
Prognosis is not looking good then. We have Poplars that spew so much cotton that it looks like it's snowing but no actual Cottonwood.

Status
Not open for further replies.