Wood Id please!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pignut Hickory is my guess. Take a look at this photo of Pignut Hickory bark. It kinda looks like the first photo you posted. What part of the States did it come from?

Attachments

• Pignut Bark_small.jpg
    Pignut Bark_small.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 287
When I saw it last night on my home computer, on which the pictures aren't very clear, I thought Ash. Looking at it on the "big bucks" computer here at work, I STILL say it's Ash.

LLigetfa said:
Ja, if the bark holds on when dry then it's most likely Ash. Bark looked a bit coarse but then it's hard to get a sense of scale without a beer next to it.

That wood is ash. Look at the grain. Stubbornly clinging to the bark is a clincher.

Sugar maple bark 2 years seasoned falls off easier than Tiger Woods' knickers at a Playboy bunny pajama party.

bsa0021,
Your wood ID is ASH

Ramsay,
Post a couple more pics of bark, def not sugar maple.
I don't see too much Silver my way over here in CT, I see lots of Red Maple.
My guess is Red Maple.

WB

Attachments

• sugar_red_01.jpg
    sugar_red_01.jpg
    303.1 KB · Views: 233
MyFyrByrd said:
Pignut Hickory is my guess. Take a look at this photo of Pignut Hickory bark. It kinda looks like the first photo you posted. What part of the States did it come from?

NE ohio.

bsa0021 said:
MyFyrByrd said:

NE ohio.

The bark on the first photo is way to thick to be Hickory, plus ......just look at the grain.
I've busted up Plenty-O-Pignut and Shagbark

WB

Attachments

• hickory_01.jpg
    hickory_01.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 195
  • hickory_02.jpg
    hickory_02.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 200
  • hickory_03.jpg
    hickory_03.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 198
I would agree with my wood being Red Maple instead of Sugar Maple> I am 100% sure it's MAPLE and around here we just call it Hard Maple.We also have lots of Soft Maple,It's down our list of what we prefer to cut,But I will cut some soft Maple From time to time.Soft Maple has a much more shag look to it's bark,easy to tell the difference. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

RAMSAY said:
I would agree with my wood being Red Maple instead of Sugar Maple> I am 100% sure it's MAPLE and around here we just call it Hard Maple.We also have lots of Soft Maple,It's down our list of what we prefer to cut,But I will cut some soft Maple From time to time.Soft Maple has a much more shag look to it's bark,easy to tell the difference. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

Yes, that is def. maple. First thought was red maple, but I've cut some silver maple limb wood that's got a resembelence to the grain in your 2nd pic. Cross sectional image showing the checking looks more like red maple.

I agree it's definitely not rock/sugar/hard maple.

bsa0021 said:
Merry Christmas Everyone!

I've been burning this for a week and I can't figure out what it is. This was scrounged a couple years ago. Very straight grain, easy to split but still pretty heavy despite 15-20% moisture. Bark is thick and can't be removed(easily) after 2 years drying. Any ideas? Thanks!

bsa0021 said:
Merry Christmas Everyone!

I've been burning this for a week and I can't figure out what it is. This was scrounged a couple years ago. Very straight grain, easy to split but still pretty heavy despite 15-20% moisture. Bark is thick and can't be removed(easily) after 2 years drying. Any ideas? Thanks!

index.php

Looks like the White Ash we split last winter.

Deep furrowed, diamond shaped bark, yellows as it seasons.............White Ash.

Tons of silver maple around here but never seen that deeply furrowed bark and besides bark falls of s maple very easily

Status
Not open for further replies.