Wood ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Corriewf

Dec 2, 2009
Central VA
The neighbor had a tree that the power company cut down. I quickly moved on the scene to save the tree from being shredded instead of burned. :) The guy cutting it thought it was a maple. My buddy who helped me with the trunk yesterday thinks it might be some type of oak. If any of you know, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

• unknowntree1.jpg
    unknowntree1.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 371
  • unknowntree2.jpg
    unknowntree2.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 362
  • unknowntree3.jpg
    unknowntree3.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 386
Hard to tell from pics. The only good pic of the bark is an atypical piece with burls or cankers on it and not really easy to tell, but it does not have the scaly bark like white oak has and the wood grain looks long, straight and very white so I will go with Maple. take a close up pic of the bark on one of those big rounds with mature, typical bark might help.

I think it looks like it could be a maple. The wood looks too white for oak, and the bark could be Sugar or Red Maple. Usually around here the maple leaves fall before the oak leaves, so if there are both types of trees around, you mostly see the oak leaves all winter. Maybe that is the case here.

The wood color does look like maple. Could be bad lighting. The leaves are obviously oak.

looks likes silver maple but so does white oak? with the oak leaves my guess oak.

Thats Maple, I've posted some samples for you to compare.

WoodButcher

Attachments

• maples_01.jpg
    maples_01.jpg
    315.9 KB · Views: 302
Red Maple will fool ya, it has many bark variations.
Juvenile limbs from the crown are a snap to ID Maples.

WoodButcher

Attachments

• REDMAPLE.jpg
    REDMAPLE.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 263
Wow, a lot of replies while I was at church. :) Thanks!

The wood was moved to my "wood staging area" however at it's original location there were only oak leaves on the ground.

Woodbutcher, you think it is silver? Looks like maybe it is silver.

Status
Not open for further replies.