Wood ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FireAnt

Minister of Fire
Dec 18, 2009
Central CT
I was out cutting up tons of dead red cedar today when I saw this resting on cedar log. It was pretty tough to split but burned real nice in the stove. Running out of wood so I have been out in the woods looking for stuff to burn. I could turn the thermostat up but what would be the fun in that...

Attachments

• php4cIfKuPM.jpg
    php4cIfKuPM.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 375
  • phpNDSewdPM.jpg
    phpNDSewdPM.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 390
  • phpxVAc7DPM.jpg
    phpxVAc7DPM.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 367
Elm. Not sure what variety would be common in your area, but it looks like red to me.

either ash or norway maple.

This looks like ash to me.

Ash.

Ash... interesting. I was thinking elm but I can't id a tree to save my life other than oak, hickory, or maple.

A lot is dead out in the woods. The bark is soft (but it's dead) and kind of a yellowish hue. The live ones are the same color.

I just split 2 1/2 cords of Norway Maple. This has a lot thicker bark.

FireAnt said:
Ash... interesting. I was thinking elm but I can't id a tree to save my life other than oak, hickory, or maple.

A lot is dead out in the woods. The bark is soft (but it's dead) and kind of a yellowish hue. The live ones are the same color.

I just split 2 1/2 cords of Norway Maple. This has a lot thicker bark.

I would have went with Ash if the wood didn't look so red. Most of the Ash I've split is lighter...he also mentioned it was tough to split. Ash is usually the easiest...even better than oak.

The bark def looks like Ash.

update on the splitting. Some were tough some were one swing.

Unless Elm and Maple have become ring porous woods.. it's Ash.

FireAnt said:

Ash is considered an E-Z splitting wood. I consider it to be variable. I split 12 cords a year of various species mostly with a 6lb maul. Some ash falls apart if you look at it cockeyed. But I've had a few rounds I give up on and rip with the chainsaw.

The coloring of the wood looked like maple. My first guess was also ash.

CrawfordCentury said:
FireAnt said:

Ash is considered an E-Z splitting wood. I consider it to be variable. I split 12 cords a year of various species mostly with a 6lb maul. Some ash falls apart if you look at it cockeyed. But I've had a few rounds I give up on and rip with the chainsaw.

Exactly. 1 time it was 10 hits with my 8lb maul, next time it was 1 and I was swinging for the hills and buried the maul in the ground.

I'm going with Ash; if you look at the 3rd picture look at that little "hole" almost dead-center in the wood; Ash does that-don't know about any other wood but I know Ash has that hole.

I guess that's it's "Ash-hole" lol....

Thanks everyone for all your help. It's burning nice in the stove right now!

Status
Not open for further replies.