WOOD ID Please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

roberth42

May 12, 2010
Tres-St-Redempteur, Quebec
I took down 2 small dead standing trees today on my property. I think one is Maple and the other is Ash but could use some help to be sure.

Please excuse the photo of my helper as he insisted he be in the photo!

The tree without any bark seems really dry. I'm going to split one and check the m/c. What are the chances that it would be ok to burn this winter?

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 330
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 314
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 306
roberth42 said:
...Please excuse the photo of my helper as he insisted he be in the photo!

Why apologize? He's cuter than the wood!

roberth42 said:
...What are the chances that it would be ok to burn this winter?

I'll hazard a guess as soon as you post the results of stabbing it with the MM. :lol: Rick

The barkless wood came from this stump and here is a photo of the bark that fell off.

Attachments

• photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 301
  • photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 291
fossil said:
roberth42 said:
...Please excuse the photo of my helper as he insisted he be in the photo!

Why apologize? He's cuter than the wood!

Thanks Rick!

roberth42 said:
...What are the chances that it would be ok to burn this winter?

I'll hazard a guess as soon as you post the results of stabbing it with the MM. :lol: Rick

Your right! It has 20% m/c. and it was tough to split.

Attachments

• IMG_1185.jpg
    IMG_1185.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_1184.jpg
    IMG_1184.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 289
Looks like norway maple and cherry. Its a hard Id. Size, angles, shadows, lack of detail etc.

wood dope said:
Ok, going out on a limb here, I'd say the barkless is elm.

yeah, you might be onto something here, appears it could be elm.

I'm pretty sure the other stuff is cherry, some of it looks a bit punky too :)

The barkless stuff does look like elm. Look at those wide rings. Try splitting some.. it will probably be tough.

homebrewz said:
The barkless stuff does look like elm. Look at those wide rings. Try splitting some.. it will probably be tough.

I did split a piece and it was extremely tough. There seems to be quite a bit of it, dead standing in the woods. Here's a couple more that need to come down.

Why would all these elm be dead?

Attachments

• IMG_1182.jpg
    IMG_1182.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 253
I'd say you have Black Cherry and a barkless Elm. The cherry is pretty easy and I am pretty sure, the Elm, less so.

The Elm is dead from dutch elm disease (probably)

roberth42 said:
homebrewz said:

I did split a piece and it was extremely tough. There seems to be quite a bit of it, dead standing in the woods. Here's a couple more that need to come down.

Dutch elm disease kills them, it's terrible. Good firewood though.I,ve heard they are easier to split once the bark falls of them when standing.

Had a lot of standing dead fence row elm at the old farm and it always had sheets of bark like that laying beside it. You can cut it into rounds, split it and burn it the same day. Tough to split but I liked it . If you have a lot you're lucky.

roberth42 said:

Yes, as others have mentioned, probably Dutch Elm Disease. If its been dead for a long time and you get it just before it starts to rot,
sometimes it will be easier to split, but generally it splits like iron. I just cut the rounds small and wind up with a bunch of chunks.
Its good stuff.. coals nicely too.

Status
Not open for further replies.