Wood ID please.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drozenski

Hearth Supporter
Aug 14, 2010
Rochester NY
I included a Pic of the round with bark, the innards and the leaves. Just got this whole tree for free. Friend is making 2 more horse pastures. He basically walked me into his woods and said "i want horses here by next summer. any tree with a red X you can take." He marked about 120 trees. 10% are pine 10-15% cherry 20% oak / hard maple and the rest is this.

I think it's White ash?

Attachments

• downsize.jpg
    downsize.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 417
  • downsize1.jpg
    downsize1.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 410
  • downsize2.jpg
    downsize2.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 405
That's just some junk wood that has no place in a wood stove. I'll come out to take it out of your way.

Ash......

Looks just like the larger ash trees I've found hiding amongst all the oak and maple here.

That looks like Ash, but the bark doesn't look like the large White Ash around here. Maybe Green or Black Ash? Good firewood in any case.

H-m-mmmm...

I just looked quick at the bark and leaves last night and assumed it was hickory, but now I look at the end grain and I no longer think so. Doesn't look like any ash I've ever seen. My Nat. Audobon field guide shows bark and leaves that look like that as "Scrub hickory", but that only grows in Florida. Don't know what it is. Is it really, really heavy?

After today, i took down another tree, one about twice the size same bark and leaves. it was about 20 feet away. I Have confirmed that this indeed ASH by presence of emerald ash borer larva.

Status
Not open for further replies.