Wood Id Please,

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

echos67

Nov 16, 2010
Pikesville Md
I scrounged this wood, and would like some help identifying it please.
The tree was taken down by a utility company and cut to 16" - 20" lengths. The logs range from 36" to 48" across. I had help from the wife, but we still had to use a trailer mounted winch to get them loaded.
The pictures may not show but there is a dark color inside, that turns to an off color green then to a whiteish color on the outside. The whiteish color has some dark lines through it once in a while.
They split alot easier when they are frozen like today, thank goodness because I have 18 logs and I am splitting by hand with wedges, mual and ax.

Attachments

• m_Wood ID 001.jpg
    m_Wood ID 001.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 305
  • m_Wood ID 002.jpg
    m_Wood ID 002.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 279
  • m_Wood ID 003.jpg
    m_Wood ID 003.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 312
  • m_Wood ID 004.jpg
    m_Wood ID 004.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 280
  • m_Wood ID 005.jpg
    m_Wood ID 005.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 271
I am thinking ash

Probably White Ash,color looks a bit like Black Ash.Though they dont usually get that big.

Its $$$$ in your stove or furnace,thats for sure!

Ash is was my first guess... But I am also thinking it could be cherry based on the grain in the 4th picture and also by the size of the tree.

Not sure why, but first pic made me think Catalpa, with the spiraling bark. Cheers!

doubtingLEE said:
GolfandWoodNut said:
could be poplar

BINGO!!!!

It's 2-Lip!
The light green had me thinking that as well but never seen a tulip get curly before.

I was also thinking poplar but hoping it wasn't. The greenish tinted stip on my monitor suggests it to me.

Thanks everyone, appears I have Poplar. Research on the forum, (I have more to do) shows it best suited for shoulder season burns ?

I am guessing I will end up with 3 cords when all of it split and stacked.

Yellow tint to the wood and the bark both say tulip poplar to me. Not horrible stuff, splits easy usually, not a great btu wood but fits the bill nicely for shoulder season and moderately cold weather.

krex1010 said:
Yellow tint to the wood and the bark both say tulip poplar to me. Not horrible stuff, splits easy usually, not a great btu wood but fits the bill nicely for shoulder season and moderately cold weather.
Yup, poplar is my vote as well. The color of the wood tells it all, the "ash-like bark" is just supporting evidence in my book.

popler. you can tell by the weight aswell, poplar is lighter than ash, but that green tint is a give away. i had a lot of poplar, burns hot but very fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.