Wood ID please!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drewsome

Feb 7, 2010
Long Island
I've been burning for a little while, but really don't know much about identifying wood. Rarely do I get wood for free; I just burn whatever hardwood the dealer brings on his truck. Anyway, I have an opportunity for some free wood. I'm guessing it's white birch, but can one of you kind experts please verify? Also, any tips on bucking, splitting and burning white birch (assuming my identification is accurate)?

Thanks guys!

Attachments

• IMG_20110308_175020.jpg
    IMG_20110308_175020.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_20110308_175010.jpg
    IMG_20110308_175010.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 318
Looks like white. Usually very rotten after it falls on its own. It will also rot very quickly if not split asap.

I must be learning my wood because my guess was white birch before I read the other responses. I could be wrong, we have a lot of that here in pa, haven't burned it though. Took botany in 1st year college, learned some, but tryin like heck to learn learn learn...

White birch.

Looks like white birch from the bark and the darker branches. Yup.. buck and split it soon and keep it out of the weather. It tends to rot quick. You can peel the bark off and use it with your kindling.

White (paper) Birch - very low on the BTU scale and VERY susceptible to rot. Get it split and off the ground a.s.a.p.

Pine.....ok, white birch, some people can't take a joke. I'm not sure if we have some type of blight or what up here in NH, but I've seen huge sections of birches amidst other trees that are wiped out. If those things are on the ground for like 15 minutes thy start to get punky...but the bark is always flammable, wacky.

Thanks for everyone's comments. I'm hoping the wood isn't rotted since the tree did fall over on its own. We'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.