Wood ID please!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drewsome

Feb 7, 2010
Long Island
Hey Guys --

My friend cut down a small tree in front of his house and gave me the pieces. I've had the wood for well over a year, and yet it's still "heavy in the hand", and seems to contain a lot of water since sizzles when I throw them into a fire. See attached picture (never mind the green streaking -- it's from the blade on the saw.) Any idea what kind of wood this is??

Attachments

• IMG_20111212_122933.jpg
    IMG_20111212_122933.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 462
It looks like maple, probably Norway Maple. It would probably season faster split than in the round.

Wood Duck said:
It looks like maple, probably Norway Maple. It would probably season faster split than in the round.
I agree looks like some kind of maple, Norway looks about right

I don't think it's Norway, looks alot like the trees that sprout up in alley and fence lines around here. But I agree you should buck and split it sooner than later.

Holly tree?

Norway maple doesn't get the dark, heavily furrowed bark until they get fairly large. I have a few norways that look very similar to that. Although i will say that with just that one pic and no leaves it's pretty hard to come to a definite conclusion.

Could be a young norway or some kind of weed tree. With this little information I would go with norway.

The bark looks a lot like silver maple.

I said Norway Maple but at the young age of the wood in the pictures it could be any type of maple. Not sure I can rule out holly or a bunch of other types of trees, but Norway Maple is still my guess.

That tree looks like a younger tree, and going on bark alone , juvenile trees are very difficult to Id. I still will go with a maple because it looks like maple and maple is so common.

Looks like mulberry shin to me....(But thats what I have been cutting) So everything starting to look like mulberry!

scotvl said:
I don't think it's Norway, looks alot like the trees that sprout up in alley and fence lines around here. But I agree you should buck and split it sooner than later.

Exactly, it was growing along a fence next to the sidewalk in Brooklyn.

Status
Not open for further replies.