Wood id please.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HotCoals

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2010
Rochester,Ny.
C/S/S early this spring.
Seems fairly light.
Get great cat action from it.
Burns fairly long and somewhat hot.

Attachments

• burn 004.jpg
    burn 004.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 397
  • burn 005.jpg
    burn 005.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 366
  • burn 006.jpg
    burn 006.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 389
  • burn 008.jpg
    burn 008.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 370
Poor pics too yellow.

Color was messed up due to fluorescent ceiling spot lights.
These are a little better.

Attachments

• burn 011.jpg
    burn 011.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 377
  • burn 012.jpg
    burn 012.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 384
HotCoals said:
Not birch or spruce.
I want to say white oak, with the light sap wood & the darker core. Not sure. Got a bigger split & a side view.

bogydave said:
HotCoals said:
Not birch or spruce.
I want to say white oak, with the light sap wood & the darker core. Not sure. Got a bigger split & a side view.
It might well be white oak now that you mention it.
I suck at this..is white oak common in NY I wonder.
Seems awfully dry and light for just being put up early spring...matter of fact most of that time it has been in my garage.
I leave the doors open a lot during the summer.
The wood seems to get some white powdery residue on it..have not noticed it on my other wood before.

Attachments

• burn 014.jpg
    burn 014.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 370
  • burn 015.jpg
    burn 015.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 372
Another thing..this wood gass's off forever.
I'm over 4 hours into a burn and still getting a light show now and then off my cat .

From the grain texture on the ends of the splits it looks like two kinds of wood. I'm saying one is Soft maple, and the other is Honey Locust.

When you say light, Id lean more to Maple since it does have a tendancy to be that way when seasoned out. Where I'd think that both Oak and Honey Locust should hold a little weight when seasoned.

nrford said:
From the grain texture on the ends of the splits it looks like two kinds of wood. I'm saying one is Soft maple, and the other is Honey Locust.
Didn't realize it but you're right..two diff woods there!
I bet the one is Honey Locust..it really burns well.
Thanks guys!

That one split is definatwly honey locust. White sapwood and salmon heartwood. Good burn, great bed of coals, ash is super white at end of burn. Sound right? Other one looks like white oak.....

When you are CSSing known woods smell them. Many woods have a very distinct odor and later you can use this as an id source for non-known wood even if it has no bark left on it. My guess on the one split is some type of maple.

HotCoals said:

Given the amount of Oak in the older houses in the city, it must have been common at one point. My last building in Rochester had Oak floor joists. Could kick myself for not setting them aside to use as a bar top.

SolarAndWood said:
HotCoals said:

Given the amount of Oak in the older houses in the city, it must have been common at one point. My last building in Rochester had Oak floor joists. Could kick myself for not setting them aside to use as a bar top.

It depends where you are in NY, of course, but White Oak is pretty common over large parts of New York.

I think you have Honey Locust and Red Maple? I am not too sure of the maple but the bark looks OK and you say the wood is light. Oak should be heavy.

Adios Pantalones said:
That bark does NOT look like white oak.

Agreed - it looks like a needle tree to me.

Scotty Overkill said:
That one split is definatwly honey locust. White sapwood and salmon heartwood. Good burn, great bed of coals, ash is super white at end of burn. Sound right? Other one looks like white oak.....
I do believe now that the one was honey locust.
I did a load last night on just that stuff.
It took awhile to get going good..but when it did it really put the heat out.
Matter of fact 3 or so hours latter it was even hotter with a lot of cat action..ghost flames.
It was warmer in the house by 4 degrees in the morning then when I went to bed...7 hours latter.
Still some wood left but it was only about a 1/2 load to start with..smaller splits.

I think the other is maple of some type..I dunno.

Scotty Overkill said:

No question its Honey Locust.Whether its a 'wild' thorny one or a thornless in someone's yard the wood is the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.