Wood ID Please !

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hobbyheater

Minister of Fire
This chunk of firewood fell off the pickup load in front me so I stopped, picked it up and brought it home. It's really heavy, won't burn, and will destroy the chain on the saw if any attempts are made to cut it. I'm wondering if Fred was the driver. Sure looked like Barney in the passenger seat.

Attachments

• IMGP3901.jpg
    IMGP3901.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 425
  • IMGP3900.jpg
    IMGP3900.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 435
  • IMGP3899.jpg
    IMGP3899.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 394
  • IMGP3898.jpg
    IMGP3898.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 410
  • IMGP3897.jpg
    IMGP3897.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 419
Petrified wood. (Turned to stone. Ask Fred how he did it.)

Toss it on a hot bed of coals and see how it burns. There are probably a ton of BTUs in stone.

Was gonna say petrified, by looking at it and the end.

Wood Duck said:
Toss it on a hot ned of coals and see how it burns. There are probably a ton of BTUs in stone.

It looks like Eastern Yellow Rockwood to me. Looks like it is already cut to length, so just split it, stack it, and wait 2 years.

Edit: just saw you are in Vancouver, so make that Western Yellow Rockwood.

Hobby, I don't know if your pulling our appendages, but if you really are unsure, it looks to me to be from a sunken log. Doesn't look to be petrified, if the coloring in the picture is correct. I guess it could be petrified and sunken? Is it hard/brittle like stone or soft like wood? What does it weigh?

Allan it looks like it's wet or has a coating of something on it to give it a bit of a shine.

Here's one of the pieces my son brought back with him from his trip to Highlevel Alberta.

Attachments

• petrefied rock.jpg
    petrefied rock.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 261
gzecc said:
Hobby, I don't know if your pulling our appendages, but if you really are unsure, it looks to me to be from a sunken log. Doesn't look to be petrified, if the coloring in the picture is correct. I guess it could be petrified and sunken? Is it hard/brittle like stone or soft like wood? What does it weigh?

It is the real thing. Petrified Wood, and weighs 150 lbs plus. The growth rings are huge. I really wish I knew more about it!

hobbyheater said:
gzecc said:

It is the real thing . Petrified Wood , and weighs 150 lbs plus. The growth rings are huge , I really wish I knew more about it !

That is cool! Any idea on age?

hobbyheater said:
Jags said:
If that is petrified, it is probably illegal as heck to transport it (take it).

It was part of the heavy blasted rock used in building logging roads for off highway logging trucks; just another part of the road bed.
I believe they have a lot stricter rules regarding removing rocks from public lands in the US than they do here in Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.