Wood ID Please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RORY12553

Minister of Fire
Dec 12, 2011
Southern NY
Found this on CL and don't know what it is or if it is worth going to get...any ideas

Attachments

• 5N65Q25M93I33M13L5c3s7a19a0c7974114c2.jpg
    5N65Q25M93I33M13L5c3s7a19a0c7974114c2.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 155
Tough to tell. Looks like a young maple of some sort.

Kinda sorta looks like some type of maple. But don't matter too much what it is. If it's close and it's free it's worth it!;)

It's close to my job but not my house...would be several trips on the way home from work but would cherry pick the smaller rounds and leave the rest.

Tulip for sure

Reactions: LEES WOOD-CO
If it is tulip i'm glad i posted here before goign to get it...people haven't answered me back yet anyway...thanks all

Tulip poplar is the first thing that came to my mind.

Reactions: LEES WOOD-CO
How big can poplar get? Have another pic of the same tree that the base is massive but looks different thatn the top.

Rory, tulip poplar can get to some very large sizes. It is or was a very popular tree for lumber and I've seen pictures of some very large trees.

Is it worth getting?? It's on the way home from work and would only take the smaller pieces

Tulip usually have a nice straight trunk.
Is it worth getting?? It's on the way home from work and would only take the smaller pieces
If it's easy to get, I would grab it. Split it on the small side and use it for starter wood. Lights fast and burns hot. Dries pretty quick and should be ready this Fall if you get it stacked soon.

Tulip usually have a nice straight trunk.
If it's easy to get, I would grab it. Split it on the small side and use it for starter wood. Lights fast and burns hot. Dries pretty quick and should be ready this Fall if you get it stacked soon.

There is a ton of it...guy that i got wood from he lives down the road and said there is probably 4 dump truck loads of the stuff which is more than i want...i will cherry pick it and take the small easy stuff...i will use it for the fall and mix it with other hardwoods

I would take any wood that is free, cut to length, and not too far away. Stop every day and get some and before you know it you'll have a ton.

I agree it looks like Tulip Poplar, which is a pretty nice firewood in my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.