Wood ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
I cannot figure out what this is ,it's as heavy and dense as oak,but the wrong color and no distinctive smell.Dries ridiculously slow these splits are a year and a half and still extremely heavy. Rough textured bark. wood id 002.jpgwood id 002.jpg

Attachments

• wood id 003.jpg
    wood id 003.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 151
The bark on the top split has a hickory look to me.

End grain would help

Bark looks like Honey Locust to me.

Attachments

• PICT0008.JPG
    PICT0008.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 126
  • PICT0016.JPG
    PICT0016.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 146
Reactions: ScotO
Honey locust. Won't get much lighter either. It dries in about a year here, but I try to go two if I can.

Reactions: Thistle
I was also thinking honey locust but posted pictures of the grain side of the splits didn't look right to me. ;hm

I was also thinking honey locust but posted pictures of the grain side of the splits didn't look right to me. ;hm
Gentlemen thanks for the replies,but this is not locust or hickory,I have at least 6 cords of bl and 2 of hickory,know them well. This has me stumped,I will post end grain pics later. Again thanks but somehow we're missing it.

Gentlemen thanks for the replies,but this is not locust or hickory,I have at least 6 cords of bl and 2 of hickory,know them well. This has me stumped,I will post end grain pics later. Again thanks but somehow we're missing it.

Honey looks nothing like black outside or inside, not many wood types as dense as oak so we have limited types to choose from. :)

I'm sticking with honey locust. Not black locust (that looks totally different)

Honey Locust. Looks alot differant than Black Locust. This is without a doubt Honey Locust.

Honey Locust. Looks alot differant than Black Locust. This is without a doubt Honey Locust.
Men, I believe those of you who said Honey locust are correct,I didn't think it was as heavy and dense,as it is but it weighs every bit as heavy as any oak I've ever seen.I haven't a clue where it came from as I've never cut any must have been mixed in with a load a tree service gave me a year and a half ago.

Not disagreeing with what you have there at all, but the quote made me think and wonder what type of hickory you have. There is a tremendous difference between shagbark and pignut for example. Around here we have very, very little pignut as most of the hickory here is shagbark.

Status
Not open for further replies.