Wood ID please.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsa0021

Feeling the Heat
Oct 1, 2008
Ohio
I got this wood off CL already cut and sitting for about a year. It's real light softwwod. It'll be good for shoulder season. I thought it might be silver maple but it might be too light for that. Whatta ya think?

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 117
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 136
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 128
Looks to be a little Punky. Judging by the pieces that broke off in the 1st pic and the appearance in the round of the 3rd pic....

But still good Shoulder wood. Nothing is to bad, for shoulder wood.... Make sure to at least Top Cover it... (agree on the Silver Maple).

I just split some punk today. Its going straight to the Woodshed. Keep it dry and it will keep you warm..

Not a snob here but I would not get any more of it. If we find something like that in our woods, it stays in the woods.

Reactions: ScotO
Yeah I agree with Dennis. That is silver maple, it is spalted and punky, that stuff isn't worth valuable storage space in the stacks.

Not a very good camera for taking pictures. That's fresh cut with saw dust on the third picture. Some of the pieces had some dirt on them so I used an old chain on the saw. The punky pieces go into the bonfire pile. I took only one pu load. Dont like silver maple but I scrounge for my wood so I cant be too picky.

Status
Not open for further replies.