Wood ID (Red Maple?)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JSeery

Feeling the Heat
Feb 12, 2015
Irvington, NY
I've never worked with red maple, and was wondering if this is it. Somewhat dense and splits pretty easily. I have access to a large pile of this stuff but already have lots of soft maple so not sure I will bother with it, but just wanted to get your input.

Thanks, folks.
IMG_0749.JPG
IMG_0748.JPG
IMG_0366.JPG

Looks like it could be red maple. I would get as much as I could, but I really like maples burning characteristics. I think red lasts a little longer than silver. I like adding soft maple with a split of locust.

Red maples bark stays together while silver maple tends to peel when it gets larger. It is difficult to tell 100% without leaves. Red maple twigs are bright red, and silver maple buds smell when crushed.

Last edited:
Yes it looks like Red Maple, not bad burning stuff, not the greatest but certainly above average, I'd grab it if you had the room!

Reactions: JSeery
Looks like Red to me...

I love maple... Sure it doesnt coal as well as the harder woods, but I can also cut it in spring and burn it properly the next winter.

I catches real easy, and throws off great heat..

Again the only thing you wont get is good coals that throw off heat themselves for hours like the harder woods.

Reactions: Fred Wright
Looks like it could be red maple. I would get as much as I could, but I really like maples burning characteristics. I think red lasts a little longer than silver. I like adding soft maple with a split of locust.
Agreed, I like Red a little better than Silver. Red, and Cherry too, are great to have around to kick off a load of something harder to start like BL, or for bridging over to the next full load of high-BTU stuff.

OK, OK. You all have me convinced. Even though I have more silver maple than I can shake a stick at, I'm gonna go get this red (possibly sugar) maple. My dad is visiting in his pickup truck this weekend anyway, so I should take advantage of the equipment when it is available. Thanks again.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Times 3 on the hard maple
The bark sure looks like the one out my window
Burns great

Now I'm getting pretty excited. If there's a chance this is sugar maple I'm definitely grabbing it all. Thanks, everyone.

Looks like the sugar maples I tap in the Spring.....but even if it is red it's worth processing for sure.

Looks like a little bit of a red or pink tinge to the heartwood, which I've seen in Red. I haven't cut as much Sugar yet, to know if that hue can also be seen in it...

That's sugar, get it all lucky dog.

Looks most like sugar to me. Hot score.

That's sugar, get it all lucky dog.
Looks most like sugar to me. Hot score.
Yeah, I guess I'm jumping on the hard Maple bandwagon. On that bark, I almost see what appears to be the beginnings of a "flap" on the right side of that round on the left. That would be a great score; Hard Maple is rated about the same as Red Oak for BTU...not to shabby at all. :cool:

I agree with all the people who say hard maple. All the red maples down here have smooth bark.
I don't have pics right now but the Red here has somewhat rough bark, but not scaly like Sugar can be. And the bark will actually have a red hue sometimes.

I don't have pics right now but the Red here has somewhat rough bark, but not scaly like Sugar can be. And the bark will actually have a red hue sometimes.

To clarify our red maples have rougher bark a the base of the tree, the higher you go up the trunk the smoother it gets.

Reactions: Woody Stover
I only had Sugar Maple once that I know of, at first glance it almost looked like Silver Maple bark but I knew it quite wasn't; it was at a local compost site, I cut it to an 18" round and nearly dropped a nut when I went to pick it up, it was soaked with water and man it was HEAVY!!!! I do remember that it burned very nicely. Red Maple is wet when fresh cut, but when dry considerably lighter, but still good stuff!

UPDATE: Sugar Maple acquired. This stuff sure is dense. I had to knock slabs off a lot of these rounds just so I could heave them into the Scrounge Sedan.
unnamed (3).jpg
Thanks again, folks!

Sweet! ;)

Best part now other than the heat is the occasional whiff from the flue or when loading. Best smelling smoke IMO !

Best part now other than the heat is the occasional whiff from the flue or when loading. Best smelling smoke IMO !
I can believe that. The fresh splits smell great on their own. Maybe it's just a placebo effect, but I think I'm really gonna like this stuff.