wood id(s)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Found the motherload and I plan to fill my truck about once or twice a day. Lot of different species in the pile ... Here's a bit of todays haul. Thoughts on ids?

Attachments

• 20140819_195427.jpg
    20140819_195427.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 219
  • 20140819_195417.jpg
    20140819_195417.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 226
Better end grain pics and some split pics would help here, but that may be some Oak. I saw some bark like that one in the first pic, called Ailanthus on here recently...

Last edited:
Agree, some oak then some less quality soft woods.

Thought it might be pine, but grabbed it as the last piece from my scrounge. The weight should have told me what it was.
I'm planning to go back again later this afternoon for another load ... will stick to the hardwoods.

That one piece looks like Hemlock. To keep it simple the rest is Red Oak.

I agree with hemlock - but the rest looks like a mix - red oak (with the darker heartwood) and maybe white oak, without the heartwood.

Although the pile is still there, the owner deleted his craigslist post. From the looks of things when I went back for my second load, I was the only one picking at the pile (and I kept it neat). Suppose I could knock on the door, seems a little weird though.

Although the pile is still there, the owner deleted his craigslist post. From the looks of things when I went back for my second load, I was the only one picking at the pile (and I kept it neat). Suppose I could knock on the door, seems a little weird though.
Probably didn't want everybody and his uncle calling him on the phone, and pulled the ad when he saw you were getting it. Are you going to take it all? Unless there's a note stapled to the pile, I'd grab it all. ==c

Probably didn't want everybody and his uncle calling him on the phone, and pulled the ad when he saw you were getting it. Are you going to take it all? Unless there's a note stapled to the pile, I'd grab it all. ==c

The pile of rounds is about 80 feet long, by 6 feet high, 3 deep ... would take a while to get it all since my truck can only hold so much, but I'd be willing to get what I can day by day. Even though the post is gone from craigslist, think I'm still good to keep taking wood?

I'd take it till someone told you not to. I'm betting woody is right. The guy probably just took it down so he wouldn't get bothered with calls now that he has a taker. Or the ad expired

Even though the post is gone from craigslist, think I'm still good to keep taking wood?
I would keep going. You never saw that the ad was gone....right? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.