Wood ID (Smells like cedar)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jlow

Feeling the Heat
Jan 19, 2009
Sterling Heights, Michigan
Split some of this yesterday. I have yet to have any purple wood. It smells like cedar. Is it in fact, cedar?

Thanks,
Jeff

Attachments

• DSC05737.jpg
    DSC05737.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 538
  • DSC05738.jpg
    DSC05738.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 546
  • DSC05733.jpg
    DSC05733.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 480
Yes ,that is Eastern Red Cedar,the heart wood has a purple color when first cut or split and turns the dark red color you are more familiar with as it ages.

Surely looks like cedar to me.

The correct answer is yes and no. It is definitly Eastern Red Cedar. Eastern Red Cedar does not belong in a cedar family though so it is a bit of a misnomer. It has some of the same characteristics of cedars - aromatic, non deciduous, rot resistant. Perhaps this is how it got its name.

Yep, Eastern Red Cedar, which is actually a juniper. Dries to be very light, burns fast, lights easily, and smells great stacked by the woodstove. I have my indoor wood holder filled with red cedar all summer - looks neat and smells great.

And great kindling.

midwestcoast said:
And great kindling.

Amazing kindling. It's almost all I use. When not knotty, it splits like a dream. Dries in about 15 minutes (I may be slightly exaggerating here...).
Happy burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.