wood id - thorns

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heem

Dec 13, 2008
Connecticut
I have aboot 1/2 acre that is covered in the smallish trees, about 4 inc diameter on average, some bigger. the bark is long almost straight vertical ribs, abot 1/4 inch depth. The small branches have thorns, and the higher ones have bright red berries. there are also numerous vines in this area, I don't know if they are related or separate plants altogether. For the life of me i cant remember what the leaves look like or if they produce any flowers.

I'm in central Connecticut, but these things grow like mad, possibly an invasive species.

Thanks

Heem said:
I have aboot 1/2 acre that is covered in the smallish trees, about 4 inc diameter on average, some bigger. the bark is long almost straight vertical ribs, abot 1/4 inch depth. The small branches have thorns, and the higher ones have bright red berries. there are also numerous vines in this area, I don't know if they are related or separate plants altogether. For the life of me i cant remember what the leaves look like or if they produce any flowers.

I'm in central Connecticut, but these things grow like mad, possibly an invasive species.

Thanks

Sounds like a Hawthorne - or "Miinensagaawunzh" as the coastal Indians in New England called it.
Gets pink flowers in May as is in the same family as roses and pears. One version of it in England is the Mayflower - thus the name of one of the boats that came over here. Gets red berry-like fruit and long thorns. I've gotten many a flat tire from the trees on my farm tractors.

There are many other trees that have shorter thorns, like young black locust. But, locust loose them when they mature, Hawthornes don't. Hawthornes also tend to be full and bushing and a royal pain-in-the-ass to get rid off.

Status
Not open for further replies.