Wood ID / Update

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
This has been down but up off the ground, there are Cherry close to this what are your thoughts. Here is the wood split, also when I went back in the Cherry that was leaning the most came down. When I cut the Basswood the end slid against the Cherry and with todays wind it came down. Will have pictures for next weekend.

Zap

Attachments

• 100_0289.jpg
    100_0289.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 450
  • 100_0296.jpg
    100_0296.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 289
  • 100_0290-1.jpg
    100_0290-1.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 240
zapny said:
This has been down but up off the ground, there are Cherry close to this what are your thoughts.

Zap

ash

Seems to be in prestine condition for a downed log. Ash is the probability, because of ash borer and no bark. If the bark is available, see if there are D shaped holes in it (1/8"). That will seal the deal. After its split send another pic.

If you could split a piece it would help. I have seen some cherry that is light color after stand a long time. I would be curious.

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
This has been down but up off the ground, there are Cherry close to this what are your thoughts.

Zap

ash

+1,
split a piece, it should be easy and the grain will be long. White Ash.

3fordasho said:
I've cut a lot of standing/fallen dead elm that looks just like that.

+ 1

jackpine said:
3fordasho said:
I've cut a lot of standing/fallen dead elm that looks just like that.

+ 1

I just split some looked like that and it was red elm

If the picture on the right of the downed tree is a picture of what the wood is from, I'd say it's red maple.

interchangabLEE said:
Pin knot at 11 O'clock says it's hemlock.

+1 after split

jpl1nh said:
If the picture on the right of the downed tree is a picture of what the wood is from, I'd say it's red maple.

It's from a different tree from that picture, after splitting and smelling I would say hemlock to.

Zap

Status
Not open for further replies.