Wood ID w/ pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty0844

Dec 7, 2009
Eastern Shore,Maryland
I've looked around and can't seem to find an answer. So I decided to ask you guys. It was a freebie from a friend. The first time I hit it with my maul the maul bounced back and almost hit me. I doesn't really split cleanly, more like shreds and has a odd smell. Not good or bad, just odd. I need a fire hot enough to make the devil sigh to get it going but once it starts it burns nice and hot and long w/ no hissing or fussing.

Attachments

• mystery wood 1.jpg
    mystery wood 1.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 403
  • mystery wood 2.jpg
    mystery wood 2.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 309
  • mystery wood 3.jpg
    mystery wood 3.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 309
Looks like Apple to me. Here are some pics of Apple that I scored last spring. The bark looks identical to yours and the split looks like the split on the right in your picture too.

IMG_0579.jpg

IMG_0580.jpg

Yup. looks pretty close. Was it hard to split?

Sorry, I take my thought back I was looking at the second set of pictures. The bark on the Second picture in the first set looks like pitch pine. My monitor is old and I will try to get a better look at work tomorrow

Scotty0844 said:
Yup. looks pretty close. Was it hard to split?

Yes it was

apple as well

I have some apple that looks like that as well. Have not burned it yet, understand it requires 2 yrs to season.

Status
Not open for further replies.