wood ID website or article

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newbie08

Apr 15, 2008
Indiana
Is there a website or article to help me identify different types of firewood and how well each would burn. Like this is good for starting fires and what it looks like and this is good for long overnight burns and this is what it looks like. I will be cutting my own wood from our woods and inlaws.

I don't know of a website that has all the info you're looking for in one place. I've found lots of different sources of wood heating values, densities, and other properties by doing various Google searches, but they generally don't include much identification information. I've bought a couple of really useful books through Amazon that describe the trees found in the Pacific Northwest, with pictures & lots of information. There are such books available for every region of the US. As a woodworker (hobbyist), I have books with photos and descriptions of woods from all over the world, but they generally address only the grain, color, and working properties of the cut lumber...they say nothing about bark, leaves/needles, cones, all that sort of tree identification stuff. Why don't you collect up all the information there is about all the woods of interest to woodburners and create the website you're looking for? Lots of folks would be glad to help you, I'm sure. Rick

I came across this website www.oplin.org/tree/ It is through the Ohio plublic library I have used it a few times. I think it only works with native trees to Ohio but I live in Indiana and it works alright for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.