Wood ID x 3

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

teutonicking

Feeling the Heat
Aug 18, 2011
Maryland
I got these on a scrounge. Can anyone tell what they are for sure?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Wood 1.JPG
    Wood 1.JPG
    348.2 KB · Views: 160
  • Wood 2.JPG
    Wood 2.JPG
    284.3 KB · Views: 160
  • Wood 3.JPG
    Wood 3.JPG
    349.8 KB · Views: 152
At first blush I too would guess elm for the bark, lack of bark in the other pic, stringiness and color.

Reactions: schlot
Also go with elm for at least most of it. Dutch Elm specifically.

+1 on elm

Thanks everyone--I appreciate it.

I assume that if I CSS it now elm would be okay by Nov./Dec. 2013 to burn. It looks like wood that would dry pretty fast.

I go with the crowd.... Elm.

I'll throw the monkey wrench in and say it's hickory.
Are the bark free rounds from the same tree? Any limb wood?

All Elm

Reactions: ScotO
I'll throw the monkey wrench in and say it's hickory.
Are the bark free rounds from the same tree? Any limb wood?

I'm not sure but I think they are from different trees. I think picture 2 is the split version of picture 3. I think picture 1 is a differnt type of wood. I was originally thinking Hickory for picture 1 as well, but it doesn't seem heavy/dense enough to be hickory. There was a mixture of things I got from this scrounge. From the picture on craigslist I thought it was all locust, and I did get some of that too (not pictured), but at least half of it seems to be the elm rounds in picture 3.

I assume that if I CSS it now elm would be okay by Nov./Dec. 2013 to burn. It looks like wood that would dry pretty fast.
I wouldn't bank on that; I think it is supposed to need two years. My only experience has been with Red Elm, and with that, even splits that started out pretty dry were rather slow to dry the rest of the way. Looks like some of those rounds the bark has fallen off. Those might be ready by this Fall...

If it's all you've got to burn then I guess it might be okay in December IF split smallish, single stacked & in a good location. I like to give elm a year minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.