Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cross Cut Saw

Feeling the Heat
Mar 25, 2012
Boulder, CO
After a mere 4 months I finally got around to burning a scrounge I came across.

I have an idea but it was already bucked up when I grabbed it so I'm not positive...

2013-01-06 13.25.21.jpg2013-01-06 13.25.03.jpg2013-01-06 13.32.06.jpg
I thought this one was interesting because of that green line running through it...
2013-01-06 13.34.05.jpg
These are the rounds from September...
2012-09-08 10.18.35.jpg

Thinking Norway Maple......Dries in a year,good heat,very similar to Sugar Maple in density,smells great too.

I think Thistle may be correct. I just got some from a powerline relocation site and it looks pretty much like your picture.

It split very easily. I was thinking it's a maple but I wasn't sure what kind. It does have a somewhat sweet smell to it, I almost think it smells like bread dough. My wife makes pizza dough and I ma ka tha piz za and when I was working with some dough tonight it smelled very similar (and I had washed my hands after stacking the wood), almost yeasty.

There was a small cluster of these leaves under the pile but I'm not sure it wasn't there before I stacked it...
2013-01-06 13.36.52.jpg

Reactions: ScotO
Hey Cross Cut Saw! Let me know when the pie is ready and I'll bring the brewpops:p

Reactions: Cross Cut Saw
I think Thistle is correct too. It may be unrelated but the leaves in the background are Norway maple leaves. Could be a coincidence. I have them growing all around my house. They are nursery stock, Purple King or something. Had to thin them out 3 yrs ago. Great firewood and does smell good. Have never found Norway maples on btu charts and since sugar maple is the only maple in the hard maple class, I never found where it stands.

Reactions: Cross Cut Saw
That ol' Thistle knows his wood......That is a norway leaf and sure looks like norway bark/grain to me.....

Not all norway has that darker heartwood, but I've seen it in a lot of the ones we cut (especially the yardbirds/power line trees that have been topped over the years). Great stuff, very similar to sugar maple...

It split very easily. I was thinking it's a maple but I wasn't sure what kind. It does have a somewhat sweet smell to it, I almost think it smells like bread dough. My wife makes pizza dough and I ma ka tha piz za and when I was working with some dough tonight it smelled very similar (and I had washed my hands after stacking the wood), almost yeasty.

There was a small cluster of these leaves under the pile but I'm not sure it wasn't there before I stacked it...
View attachment 88353
Yeah, norway has almost a 'starchy' smell to it when it's cut or split.......

Biggest Norway I've cut so far was just around 12" -big limb off neighbor's tree 2 houses north.All sapwood,would've like to have had the whole tree but the crazy old bat wouldnt let me cut any more unfortunately ;lol

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Definitely Norway Maple. I'm burning it now and puts off good heat. Rather easy to split too.

Status
Not open for further replies.