Cross Cut Saw Posted By Cross Cut Saw, Jan 6, 2013 at 7:21 PM

1. Cross Cut Saw

Cross Cut Saw
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Mar 25, 2012
    Loc:
    Boulder, CO
    After a mere 4 months I finally got around to burning a scrounge I came across.

I have an idea but it was already bucked up when I grabbed it so I'm not positive...

2013-01-06 13.25.21.jpg 2013-01-06 13.25.03.jpg 2013-01-06 13.32.06.jpg
    I thought this one was interesting because of that green line running through it...
    2013-01-06 13.34.05.jpg
    These are the rounds from September...
    2012-09-08 10.18.35.jpg

2. Thistle

Thistle
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 16, 2010
    Loc:
    Central IA
    Thinking Norway Maple......Dries in a year,good heat,very similar to Sugar Maple in density,smells great too.

3. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 12, 2012
    Loc:
    Rabbit Hash, Kentucky
    I think Thistle may be correct. I just got some from a powerline relocation site and it looks pretty much like your picture.

4. Cross Cut Saw

Cross Cut Saw
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Mar 25, 2012
    Loc:
    Boulder, CO
    It split very easily. I was thinking it's a maple but I wasn't sure what kind. It does have a somewhat sweet smell to it, I almost think it smells like bread dough. My wife makes pizza dough and I ma ka tha piz za and when I was working with some dough tonight it smelled very similar (and I had washed my hands after stacking the wood), almost yeasty.

There was a small cluster of these leaves under the pile but I'm not sure it wasn't there before I stacked it...
    2013-01-06 13.36.52.jpg

ScotO likes this.
  5. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 12, 2012
    Loc:
    Rabbit Hash, Kentucky
    Hey Cross Cut Saw! Let me know when the pie is ready and I'll bring the brewpops:p

Cross Cut Saw likes this.
  6. Applesister

Applesister
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 5, 2012
    Loc:
    Upstate NY
    I think Thistle is correct too. It may be unrelated but the leaves in the background are Norway maple leaves. Could be a coincidence. I have them growing all around my house. They are nursery stock, Purple King or something. Had to thin them out 3 yrs ago. Great firewood and does smell good. Have never found Norway maples on btu charts and since sugar maple is the only maple in the hard maple class, I never found where it stands.

Cross Cut Saw likes this.
  7. ScotO

ScotO
    Guest 2.
    NULL

That ol' Thistle knows his wood......That is a norway leaf and sure looks like norway bark/grain to me.....

Not all norway has that darker heartwood, but I've seen it in a lot of the ones we cut (especially the yardbirds/power line trees that have been topped over the years). Great stuff, very similar to sugar maple...

8. ScotO

ScotO
    Guest 2.
    NULL

Yeah, norway has almost a 'starchy' smell to it when it's cut or split.......

9. Thistle

Thistle
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 16, 2010
    Loc:
    Central IA
    Biggest Norway I've cut so far was just around 12" -big limb off neighbor's tree 2 houses north.All sapwood,would've like to have had the whole tree but the crazy old bat wouldnt let me cut any more unfortunately ;lol

Backwoods Savage likes this.
  10. husky345 vermont resolute

husky345 vermont resolute
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Sep 20, 2012
    Loc:
    london, ontario
    Got a bunch from the neighbour. Splits nice and smells great when burt

11. Clyde S. Dale

Clyde S. Dale
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 17, 2010
    Loc:
    SE PA
    Definitely Norway Maple. I'm burning it now and puts off good heat. Rather easy to split too.