Wood id

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 14, 2012
CT
Anyone know what this might be? It's heavy and tough to split.

wood1.jpeg
wood2.jpeg

Best guess - some type of maple. Someone will be along soon to identify the exact species but I am pretty sure the maple family will be part of that

bark looks like sugar maple, but seems unusually dark on inside.

Maple. Probably sugar maple.

Thanks all. Consensus is maple. I'm thinking sugar maple because it is so heavy and dense.

That smooth bark on that top picture looks more like silver maple. But agreed it is maple none the less.

Reactions: ScotO
That smooth bark on that top picture looks more like silver maple. But agreed it is maple none the less.

I ain't never seen a silver with the interior color of the OP's pic. (and I have cut many)

I ain't never seen a silver with the interior color of the OP's pic. (and I have cut many)

I took that bottom split to be weathered but if it is fresh you might be on to something there Jags. No arguments from this old boy. Just commenting on the smooth bark because sugar maple in these parts has a rougher bark.

Reactions: ScotO and Shane N
That bottom piece was split in the fall.

Not any sugar maple like we have around here (you guys know me, against the grain). I know my sugar maples and that bark isn't right for sugar maple.
I'm thinking either silver or possibly red maple......

Those rounds look like they are from the less mature upper part of a biger maple such as red or Norway. It would be good to see the trunk unless its just a young tree.

Soft maple not Hard

Status
Not open for further replies.