Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brian89gp

Minister of Fire
Mar 15, 2008
Kansas City
Bad pic I know, its from a CL add. The guy who listed it has no idea, I'm a wood ID noob, and I don't want to waste gas money.
3G13F13L65N65I85F1d44165d9e80251a1fbd.jpg

I think I see Black Locust and Mulberry in there. No idea about the barkless stuff.
I'd get there as soon as you can.

Ditto on the Black Locust. The barkless stuff might also be BL, it tends to peel pretty quick.

I'm not sure about it being black locust (color doesn't seem quite right, bark is thinner and rounds are rounder than the BL I've gotten in PA), but it doesn't look like any of the woods I'd turn my nose up at. Looks like a good risk to me.

I'd grab it.....nice score:cool:

Black locust.........

Is that all the same tree? Looks like good wood, how much?

Several different tree's, and free. Hopefully its still there when I get there. Thanks all.

Yea some white ash in there I think, it looks like all good stuff.

Snap it up quick!

Hmmm rounds on ground don't have thick enough bark for BL, I vote Black Walnut or Siberian Elm, looks just like those in my driveway of said species. I would get it ASAP.

I saw that one too, outside of my pick up zone. Looks to be some decent wood there. Pretty much what they all said. The dead stuff is probably elm. Looks to have on his first pick tone mulberry on the left side. But if your near it, I'd be getting it.

Well, it wasn't mulberry. Dead stuff was elm with a few tree's of oak and I think cherry mixed in.

I hit this place up last today since it had been posted for a couple days already, figured it would be cleared out already. Show up and the guy probably had 20 tree's cut down and most everything was already picked up except for a huge osage orange trunk at the back of the yard. So I got about 1.5 cords worth of 24" diameter osage orange out of it.

How long does hedge take to season?

Reactions: chvymn99
Hedge is like wine, it just gets better with age. You could burn it this fall, but if possible give it a 2 to 3 years. Great stuff, that you got your hands on...

Beautiful stuff indeed, gave my 262xp a run for its money alright. It was growing at an angle which is probably the reason for the asymmetrical rings.

photo (6).JPG

Sweet score!

Bowl turner boogie

Status
Not open for further replies.