wood id

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wesessiah

Burning Hunk
Aug 31, 2012
Lincolnton NC
best pics i could get, they were cut by a logging company, so there weren't any leaves.

wood_zps61221c9a.jpg

wood1_zps4bbc69e0.jpg

The large piece, and the wood in the first picture is White Oak. In the second picture the smaller piece on the right side of the picture looks like it might be Red Oak.

The large piece, and the wood in the first picture is White Oak. In the second picture the smaller piece on the right side of the picture looks like it might be Red Oak.

+1

Oak yes

Nice. Love that White! :cool:

Yuppers.

nice, thanks for the id guys... i have probably a cord or so worth of it in a scrounge from a logging crew... all i ever see are red oak, black oak, and endless pin oak, so now i know the bark to look for.

Are those the ends left on a landing from when they cut the logs to length? Seems like a pretty easy way to get wood if there is a logging job nearby.

Are those the ends left on a landing from when they cut the logs to length? Seems like a pretty easy way to get wood if there is a logging job nearby.

that particular one is probably 25 feet long. there are some other pieces i'm not so confident with... one is about 30" wide and 30' long leaned over the side of some other logs sitting at about a 30 degree angle. there's another leaned over one (not sure if it's also white oak, as there's no bark left on it) that's about 36" wide and about 15' long. there's one entire tree, sans the limbs, of the white oak that's about 60' there are some ends, most of them about 2' long and about the same width. i cut some of the dogwood as ramps to roll a couple of those up into the bed. i only took a truck load today, and my back is killing me. i'm definitely going to need another set or two of hands next time. my wife was with me, but she's kind of dainty, so her assistance was mostly giving me a little boost, or moving smaller stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.