wood id

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gregbesia

Feeling the Heat
Jan 26, 2009
central CT
I got some wood last week, looks like red oak ?

Attachments

• IMG_1880.JPG
    IMG_1880.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 86
Reactions: smokinj
another view

Attachments

• IMG_1882.JPG
    IMG_1882.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 74
Oak for sure. Need a better picture of the bark to say what kind.

Thanks, more pictures of same score

Attachments

• IMG_1883.JPG
    IMG_1883.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_1879.JPG
    IMG_1879.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_1881.JPG
    IMG_1881.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 104
The heartwood looks like typical red oak. Of course there will likely be arguments about it being red, black or white oak. Does it smell like vinegar/cat pee/dog doo when being cut? Those are the typical descriptions of red oak.

Looks like red oak. Does it smell like a bag of salt and vinegar chips?

Same tree? I see a red, a black, and a white.

White oak smells like vanilla. Red/black smells bad.

Yes, it smells bad ( I kind of like it). There is another wood in those pictures, see my wood I'd 2 .Sorry about the confusion.

Black oaks are in the red oak family, and would be hard to tell apart in a pile of wood. Western species of white oaks are all white heartwood, and the two tone splits there are typical of both reds & black here. You would have to look at the leaves to tell them apart.

Yes, it smells bad ( I kind of like it). There is another wood in those pictures, see my wood I'd 2 .Sorry about the confusion.

I like the smell of all oaks myself. Its either red or black, or even a hybrid (they commonly cross in NE).

Thanks a lot stihlhead, it looks like red oak based on how clean it splits. On some pcs I only have to go a couple of inches with the ram and the rest just falls apart. Different story with the 2nd wood in the pictures. This one is so wet and stringy I have to tear it apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.