Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

USMC80

Minister of Fire
Mar 27, 2013
New Jersey
Some of this was in that dumpster load i got, notice the green in the middle of the round. No clue what it is

IMG_20130917_182141_025_zpse68af50f.jpg

IMG_20130917_182126_347_zpsc65210f2.jpg

Tulip poplar has a green tint when it is dimensioned up as lumber. Ive only seen it at lumber yards. Kiln dried and the heartwood is green.
Dont know if that is your wood, though.
Remember, Tulip isnt really poplar. Its actually a fairly heavy wood.

Reactions: HDRock and smokinj
The dreaded poplar. Stay away from that crap.

Reactions: HDRock and smokinj
not bad, needed some shoulder wood, too much oak around.

only a couple sticks of it anyway mixed in

Reactions: HDRock
I had a log that shade of green freeked out when cutting first round as chips were green and cut like butter thought I had a load of some funky fungus was told it's poplar
Burned better than my green oak

Last edited:
The dreaded poplar. Stay away from that crap.

Tulip poplar for sure. Not the same critter as poplar (aka Aspen). Tulip is pretty decent shoulder season wood. I've burned a lot of it.

Reactions: HDRock
Tulip poplar for sure. Not the same critter as poplar (aka Aspen). Tulip is pretty decent shoulder season wood. I've burned a lot of it.

good to know, ill stack it separate. thanks guys

Tulip poplar for sure. Light in weight when seasoned. It burns. ;)

Yes, Tulip Poplar. You can see that green color in the poplar lumber at your local home improvement store.

Tulip poplar can have some pretty crazy colors - black, brown, purple, gray, and the green you're seeing. Purples and blacks can indicate some foreign metallic objects in the wood, but usually it's just natural in tulip poplar. You'll even see these colors in the dimensional tulip lumber at the home improvement stores.

Keep your expectations low on tulip. If you have room and need some shoulder season wood, it'll do fine. If you are low on space and you're looking for high-BTU's, look elsewhere. I keep a stash of it for each season cuz it's everywhere in my neck of the woods, it's quick to season, and free is good.

The poplar that I have makes my fiskars sink right into it without splitting it, I haven't even considered putting it through the splitter yet, I'm trying to get the good stuff done :)

Tulip poplar can have some pretty crazy colors - black, brown, purple, gray, and the green you're seeing. Purples and blacks can indicate some foreign metallic objects in the wood, but usually it's just natural in tulip poplar. You'll even see these colors in the dimensional tulip lumber at the home improvement stores.

Keep your expectations low on tulip. If you have room and need some shoulder season wood, it'll do fine. If you are low on space and you're looking for high-BTU's, look elsewhere. I keep a stash of it for each season cuz it's everywhere in my neck of the woods, it's quick to season, and free is good.

Ya def need some shoulder season wood, majority of my stacks are Oak, this stuff will be great for next fall. I will stack it separately, probably 3 cords

The poplar that I have makes my fiskars sink right into it without splitting it, I haven't even considered putting it through the splitter yet, I'm trying to get the good stuff done :)

Thats cause its soaked still with lots of water . Let the rounds set a few weeks and dry out .

20 %....Once split that is.....

20 %....Once split that is.....
It dries pretty quick, from what I read here but I haven't messed with it much, even though there's lots here. I'm going to try some this season as kindling. If I like it, there are some dead ones nearby that I could get.

It dries pretty quick, from what I read here but I haven't messed with it much, even though there's lots here. I'm going to try some this season as kindling. If I like it, there are some dead ones nearby that I could get.

The only thing ive found about the tulip poplar is that it leaves alot of ash. Great for a fast fire or kindling too, like said .

One year we had nothing else but poplar and maple , it kept us war . ;) used alot of different sized splits .

Status
Not open for further replies.