wood ID???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kjahnz

Burning Hunk
Oct 14, 2012
Minnesota
IMAG0151.jpgHey, I was wondering if someone could identify this type of wood for me. It would be great help.

The bark looks like hawthorn, but it is too big for that. Probably elm.

I think maple. By the bark anyway.

Soft Maple

Reactions: Lakeside
IMAG0167.jpg IMAG0168.jpg IMAG0168.jpg IMAG0167.jpg For those of you who wanted better pics here you go. Hope this helps.

Deer will love those budded ends. This helps them through winter time.

One of the best things is that the soft maple will split easy and dry quickly. It is good wood to have but not the best for overnight fires. Burn it during the daytime and all will be well.

Medium heat, good amount of ash. Dry it and burn it.

Red maple as said above. Silver maple is similar, but the buds are a bit more grey.

When you are trying to ID a tree, it's easiest to look at the bud/leaf arrangement. You can narrow down the possibles by remembering MAD.

Maple
Ash
Dogwood

All of these trees will have buds in opposite configuration.

norway-maple-a.jpg

The next one you'll notice is alternate budding

hploc--twalternate-buds39162.jpg

The last one you'll see is the subalternate, which looks like opposite, but one is a little lower.

hippophae%20rhamnoides%20081118-110129.jpg

Every species of tree will have a different bud. As a tree ages,the bark will change. The buds won't.

Trying to post a short video of the same tree.
Took awhile,to set up the right accounts.

fail:rolleyes: thinking it will play now, wanna try again?

Red maple as said above. Silver maple is similar, but the buds are a bit more grey.

When you are trying to ID a tree, it's easiest to look at the bud/leaf arrangement. You can narrow down the possibles by remembering MAD.

Maple
Ash
Dogwood

All of these trees will have buds in opposite configuration.

norway-maple-a.jpg

The next one you'll notice is alternate budding

hploc--twalternate-buds39162.jpg

The last one you'll see is the subalternate, which looks like opposite, but one is a little lower.

hippophae%20rhamnoides%20081118-110129.jpg

Every species of tree will have a different bud. As a tree ages,the bark will change. The buds won't.

You forgot one; Horse Chestnut The acronym is MAD Horse = Maple Ash Dogwood HORSE chestnut

You're right! I intentionally left off the Cap for Caprifoliaceae for viburnums, but forgot about the horse chestnut. I think I've only seen 2 of them though. I've never had to id one without the leaves...

You're right! I intentionally left off the Cap for Caprifoliaceae for viburnums, but forgot about the horse chestnut. I think I've only seen 2 of them though. I've never had to id one without the leaves...

We've got yellow and Ohio buckeye in our area so I'm used to seeing them. Horse chestnut, Buckeye all in the Aesculus family I believe. I've never burned Buckeye, I don't think it makes good firewood, especially when much better woods are within my grasp. Caprifoliaceae is a family of bush or shrub I believe and include the honeysuckle bush. Some say it makes firewood close to hedge if you can get it large enough. I wage war on honeysuckle bush on my property; invasive and chokes off all other growth.

We've got yellow and Ohio buckeye in our area so I'm used to seeing them. Horse chestnut, Buckeye all in the Aesculus family I believe. I've never burned Buckeye, I don't think it makes good firewood, especially when much better woods are within my grasp. Caprifoliaceae is a family of bush or shrub I believe and include the honeysuckle bush. Some say it makes firewood close to hedge if you can get it large enough. I wage war on honeysuckle bush on my property; invasive and chokes off all other growth.

I have noticed that green honeysuckle burns erm.... aggressively on my burn pile...

Status
Not open for further replies.