Wood id

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebelduckman

Minister of Fire
Dec 14, 2013
Pulaski, Mississippi
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Looks like ailanthus (tree of heaven). Leaf looks odd, but it could be early leaf sprouts that couldn't take some freezing temperatures.

Last edited:
I've read you get more heat from splitting it than you do burning it, if it is ailanthus. I have no personal experience with it though

Looks like ailanthus (tree of heaven). Leaf looks odd, but it could be early leaf sprouts that couldn't take some freezing temperatures.
I'd agree, Tree of Heaven, I should qualify by saying I've never burned that stuff. Those who have say it dries to a paper-like weight. Not a lot of btus, but yes it will burn no problem.

From what I've read here and looked that's what it is. Glad I didn't cut it for firewood. I was clearing a fencerow and came across it. Guess it'll be used for the outdoor pit or something though.

If you want to keep that fencerow clear, do some research on how to kill it. It will come back with a vengeance from the stump.

Status
Not open for further replies.