Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

setitonfire

Oct 24, 2013
Topsham, Maine
I've actually got two species I need help with

I think the first is cherry but is it black cherry or choke cherry? I plan to smoke with some of it this weekend and read that choke cherry can be bitter. 20140518_185844.jpg20140518_185854.jpg

Now the second. This stuff was a pain to split. My X27 almost bounced back and caught me in the head a few times.

20140518_185806.jpg 20140518_185753.jpg

2nd I think is elm

I THINK the first pic is black cherry. The bark looks like black cherry I've cut before. I agree with gzecc that the second is elm.

Reactions: splitoak
Black Cherry, Elm.

Thanks. This may be off topic but should I wait to smoke with the cherry? I split it about 2 weeks ago. For use in the stove it won't be used until the season begins next year.

Smoking wood is best when green.

I agree that the first looks like black cherry. But can you post one more picture, the flakes look larger than I'm used to. Could just be the scale of the picture though.

black cherry and elm. smoke with (green) black cherry. bark on or off. your choice. i leave the bark on because im lazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.