wood id

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep - firewood - go get it.

LOL! I am trying to stay away from anything that takes a long time to dry..... I already have a bunch of red oak and silver maple and ash. Just wondering what this is. I have never seen anything with that almost white center like this has.

Dont have room on my property for much more then 2014. The 2/3 cord of red oak is about all the extra space I have. Some day I am going to have to buy a wood lot near me to cut and store on, but for now all I have is the small lot my house is built on.

Reactions: WiscWoody
I see some pine needles in the back. Might be white pine with vines growing up it. Hopefully not poison ivy. Maybe that is why it is free?

I see some pine needles in the back. Might be white pine with vines growing up it. Hopefully not poison ivy. Maybe that is why it is free?

Hmmm...I am not seeing the needles. A better pic would help all the way around.

Edit - blowing up the image....you might be right.

Im going to leave it.. I found some that is much closer and is elm...... Going to to may fiskers with me and see how hard it is to split and grab what I can of it if it isnt twisted to bad. From the pics it looked like a bunch of 2"-4" branches cut down as well, so those won't even need to be split.

lol thats why im bringing my fiskers with me.... To test how hard it is to split.

Made the mistake to grab a bunch of sycamore once got it home then spent almost an hour trying to split 1 round.

Reactions: WiscWoody
lol thats why im bringing my fiskers with me.... To test how hard it is to split.

Made the mistake to grab a bunch of sycamore once got it home then spent almost an hour trying to split 1 round.
That's when it's nice to have a machine. I'd hate to pass on scrounge because I couldn't butcher it.

Its funny. Mom just called there neighbors tree just fell on there house they are bucking it up as we speak and throwing it into the truck for me.......

Its just bradford pear but it all burns, and it dries pretty fast.

That's when it's nice to have a machine. I'd hate to pass on scrounge because I couldn't butcher it.

There is enough easy to split stuff around here at any given time that it really isnt a big deal. Heck, I just passed up about 3 cords worth of straight grained red oak trunk that was cut down last year. I got about a rank of it and was 1 hit splitting 20 inch diameter rounds. Just not enough room to store it. Was beautiful wood to cut and split only about 5 miles from me.

Have fun with that Elm! Hope it isn't hot out too.
There is enough easy to split stuff around here at any given time that it really isnt a big deal.
I wouldn't mess with the Elm, then. You might end up throwing the round in the trunk with the Fiskars still stuck in it. ;lol

I wouldn't mess with the Elm, then. You might end up throwing the round in the trunk with the Fiskars still stuck in it. ;lol

LMAO.... Ended upo with a bunch of bradford pear. Split pretty easy but then we decided to build a few retaining walls so been busy with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.